91 Chrysler New Yorker R 12 to 134A Coversion

Hola,

My friend took this car to Mexico in the mid 90's and wants some help in doing the AC conversion to 134A. Besides Rack Auto, can you think of another source for this conversion kit? I am not familiar with the quality of some of the of the names that I see on the items.

If you done this conversions, can you share your knowledge. I'll be buying the parts in the states and shipping them to our home town.

Attachments

• New Yorker.jpg
    New Yorker.jpg
    764.7 KB · Views: 2
R12 is also ban in Mexico just like the states.
R12 isnt banned in the states. Its purchase is restricted to section 609 license holders and has not been made in 25 years but is still available for purchase. Those cars didnt cool well with R134a and we switched many back to R12 that others retrofitted.

I ended up using what turned out to be Butane to top the R12 system on my 1986 Nissan. It was holding pressure but not enough after 37 years. The small cans of equivalent refrigerant for R12 aren't cheap. A pound was about $46 bucks. If you convert you need to expel all the mineral based oil from the original system, clean with denatured alcohol, dry, place on prolonged vacuum, check for leaks and introduce refrigerant after installing a new dryer and orifice, adapters for the ports , and proper PAG oil, line set for 134 and that's what I remember from other projects.

I heard back in the day (when R134a was relatively new) that the old R12 molecule was much larger than the R134a, and thus much less likely to leak.

The other problem besides trying to find those R12 expensive cans is trying to find the proper hoses for them.

What is very simple here in Mexico things are totally different, some simple stuff is almost impossible to find.

I did this conversion on one car, and the AC wasn't cold. There was no R12 left in the system, verified by pushing the valve and hearing no hissing. So I just put the adapter caps on and added the R134a and the oil they give you until the pressure gauge said it's full. I had cold air with no problem.

Hola,

My friend took this car to Mexico in the mid 90's and wants some help in doing the AC conversion to 134A. Besides Rack Auto, can you think of another source for this conversion kit? I am not familiar with the quality of some of the of the names that I see on the items.

If you done this conversions, can you share your knowledge. I'll be buying the parts in the states and shipping them to our home town.

I did mine back in the day. I had diassembled the system for a evaporator replacement, so I threw in a new compressor, the correct refrigerant oil and just switched over..

I have been using Red-Tek to replace R12. Works good and seems to stay in a tight system. Haven't charged my 1990 Ford Ranger in 4 years and my wife keeps closing her vents.

Back