9 year old Everstart Maxx

Well almost 9 years.. debating if I should replace it and the wife is pushing me to. Probably because it'll die on her on the rare occasion she drives the Dakota LOL. Backstory is grandpa bought it but stopped mowing and carpentry so didn't drive it much. He always complained how much it cost, he'd be thrilled how long it's lasted. I got the truck after he passed 4 years ago. I typically replace batteries at 5 years. I only drive the truck about 2k a year. Decisions decisions.

356A5652-A06D-4DE9-8737-674ED271082D.jpeg

Get it tested.

This website obsesses about trickle chargers and getting the most from one's battery, but age one to the far side of the statistical norm and it's considered a ticking time bomb.

It may also be a good idea to remove it from the truck and clean off the acid spillage by the vents.

Get it tested.

This website obsesses about trickle chargers and getting the most from one's battery, but age one to the far side of the statistical norm and it's considered a ticking time bomb.

It may also be a good idea to remove it from the truck and clean off the acid spillage by the vents.
Have you tested it? Not at an Autozone or such, where all they tell you is if it is good or bad. But with a tester that gives a percent of life left.

Get it tested.

Have you tested it? Not at an Autozone or such, where all they tell you is if it is good or bad. But with a tester that gives a percent of life left.
Actually never thought to have it tested. Most of my batteries get a shorted cell around the 5-6 year mark. Guess I'll run to OReillys tomorrow. I cleaned the acid off not even a month ago, it's always did it.

I like the idea of having it tested. Assuming that it tests out well, you can get the peace of mind that your wife is looking for without having to drop some cash to do it.

My east penn battery in my honda was made in 2014. I was concerned for a while but stopped caring and will just let it go until it dies.

Normally a battery up front near all that heat won't live over 3-5 years, but my original 2002 Dakota battery lived until 8 years. I caught it starting slow twice one day, and drove straight to Walmart for a new one. Something right about the Dakota charging system.

Get it tested.

Agree.

Ive got some old batteries. The battery in my 240d may well be 15 years old. It is kept on a float charge and clean.

if I were OP, I’d pull the battery, clean it with baking soda and water, then coat it with pledge. Re-install with some dielectric grease at the base of the terminals, and call it a day. When cranking slows or cranking voltage drops too much, then replace…

Keep it on a maintainer if possible until then…

Wow! Have you kept it on a battery maintainer? Either way, that’s a long life!
Never had a maintainer on it.

Carry some jumper cables with you
Have a set in every car, very few people want to help with a jumpstart nowdays though. Too many electronics in new ones.

Normally a battery up front near all that heat won't live over 3-5 years, but my original 2002 Dakota battery lived until 8 years. I caught it starting slow twice one day, and drove straight to Walmart for a new one. Something right about the Dakota charging system.
The Dakota is basically a smaller Ram so I've noticed most parts are the same. I'd say the charging system is over built and the same as the Ram. I know the 3.9 engines and up are the same among the two.

I chickened out with the factory battery in the Camry at 8.5 years or so… it was testing “good” still but was on the upper edge of “marginal,” and I was going into winter, so figured not tempting fate was a good idea. Who knows (that was three years ago), but I didn’t want to be swapping it out in the cold (or, worse, end up stranded somewhere I couldn’t buy a new one, at night or something). I also carry a Noco jump pack, which I’ve used successfully on other cars.

I get more'n 8yrs regularly. (Expected too). DieHard (now owned by Advance) no maintainer. Keep good alt., clean/coat regularly, ck distilled H2O/acid level w/each OC in last 3, 4 yrs.
Have urs tested but not on a tester that does not show volts (a needle equiped 1). 13.5/14.5 while running. Above 12.6 off (after charged by alt.)

Found that on some Euro vehicles, even though it gets an OK when tested, car electronics start misbehaving. Was scratching my head as to why. Had the OEM AGM battery still installed and was now 8 years old. Figured with winter coming I may as well change it and sure enough, problems went away. For later model vehicles, reliant on multiple electronic systems, I would NOT risk it but change the battery. Don't know specifics of your vehicle, but you could probably risk it.

Back