9 mm or .22? I'm torn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Eosyn
, I'll go with Ruger, either Mark IV or SR22 and move up to their 9mm.

I have a Ruger MK II 6 inch that I plan to sell.
Its okay but a hassle to disassemble and clean, therefore I never used it much, not too accurate either, definitely wouldn't be my first choice it for HD.

Thats why I suggested the Glock 42, shoots almost like a .22 but with power of a .380, small enough for ladies hands, super easy to break down and clean, also very accurate.

You should take your wife and daughter to a rental gun range and have them shoot the Glock and few others before making a purchase.

Smith and Wesson still has a good customer service reputation. I never needed any repairs, but wrote them a letter once trying to locate a rare model and received an immediate response (pre internet days).

I am about to purchase one of their 380 EZs for my wife and daughter. I was intrigued by the design, but once you actually see a small weak handed female use it after struggling with other weapons, you realize the sheer genius of it.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
I am about to purchase one of their 380 EZs for my wife and daughter. I was intrigued by the design, but once you actually see a small weak handed female use it after struggling with other weapons, you realize the sheer genius of it.

Here is good review and vid on the M&P .380 EZ.
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/03/jeremy-s/gun-review-smith-wesson-mp380-shield-ez/

Never much cared for the M&P line, (kind of ugly with grip safety and serrations) but I see how this could be the answer for some people.

Frankly, Glock should do something like this with the 42, i.e. a mid size .380 for more capacity and even softer recoil.

Originally Posted by Rock_Hudstone

Thats why I suggested the Glock 42, shoots almost like a .22 but with power of a .380, small enough for ladies hands, super easy to break down and clean, also very accurate.

You should take your wife and daughter to a rental gun range and have them shoot the Glock and few others before making a purchase.

Right now, for my daughter (13) who is deathly afraid of guns, and myself and my wife who have shot less than 200 rounds total, we are looking to train and familiarize ourselves with firearms (pistols atm). For that reason, we want to start out with a small caliber and a pistol with a safety. From what I understand, Glock does not incorporate safety in their pistols. That is why Glock is not on my list right now, but may be after we master the handling of firearms. If I was still single without a child, I would own a Glock 17 in a heartbeat.

One of my goals is to introduce my daughter to guns so she isn't so afraid of them. I'm hoping to get her to feel comfortable handling and using so she will be able to defend herself later in life, if needed. My wife and I both think the SR22 would be a good start on our firearms learning journey.

In regard to S&W M&P22, I read in some of their reviews that the magazine for that gun is hard to come by and only one comes with the gun. For that reason plus it's "full" size is a bit shorter than the SR22, I'm looking to purchase that Ruger after Christmas.

Thank you for all the informative replies to this thread. I've learned a great many things from you all.
Happy Holidays!

Right now, for my daughter (13) who is deathly afraid of guns, and myself and my wife who have shot less than 200 rounds total, we are looking to train and familiarize ourselves with firearms (pistols atm). For that reason, we want to start out with a small caliber and a pistol with a safety. From what I understand, Glock does not incorporate safety in their pistols. That is why Glock is not on my list right now, but may be after we master the handling of firearms. If I was still single without a child, I would own a Glock 17 in a heartbeat.

One of my goals is to introduce my daughter to guns so she isn't so afraid of them. I'm hoping to get her to feel comfortable handling and using so she will be able to defend herself later in life, if needed. My wife and I both think the SR22 would be a good start on our firearms learning journey.

In regard to S&W M&P22, I read in some of their reviews that the magazine for that gun is hard to come by and only one comes with the gun. For that reason plus it's "full" size is a bit shorter than the SR22, I'm looking to purchase that Ruger after Christmas.

Wow, thank you for the suggestion of the EZ series from M&P. Will definitely consider that series when it comes time to upgrade. Will have to research which caliber would be better to take down a bad guy, .38 or 9mm, but that is for a future time and discussion.

Thank you for all the informative replies to this thread. I've learned a great many things from you all.
Happy Holidays!

From what I understand, Glock does not incorporate safety in their pistols. That is why Glock is not on my list right now, but may be after we master the handling of firearms.

If the safety is on, the person shouldn't have their finger near or on the trigger or be pointing the gun in an unsafe direction anyway.
If the person's finger is near or on the trigger, or the gun is pointed at a threat, the person would want the safety off anyway.
When do you plan on having the safety on?

Originally Posted by DejaVue
From what I understand, Glock does not incorporate safety in their pistols. That is why Glock is not on my list right now, but may be after we master the handling of firearms.

When do you plan on having the safety on?

The safety will be on all the time until I am aiming the gun at a target.

well thought out choice of ruger sr22, eosyn. its handiness, reliability and simplicity make it a comfortable and useful entry level pistol, or a nice "one and only" if you learn that pistol shooting doesn't really float your boat. some owners replace its stock polymer stock guide/metal spring with an aftermarket captured spring steel one (utube), but you don't have to do so. range time with sr22 is like sitting down next to a bowl of fantasy guilt-, calorie- and cavity-free m&m candies: do get a few extra mags (ebay) because you will have alot of fun plinking with it, and take 300 rounds or so to the range for the same reason.

the sr22's multiple safeties are fine to have too.

[Right now, for my daughter (13) who is deathly afraid of guns, and myself and my wife who have shot less than 200 rounds total, we are looking to train and familiarize ourselves with firearms (pistols atm). For that reason, we want to start out with a small caliber and a pistol with a safety.

Okay, didn't know your daughter has a fear of firearms.

All the more reason to get her and your wife some hands on experience with different models.

Any gun stores in your area with ranges that will let you try before you buy?

DejaVue said:
Eosyn said:
The safety will be on all the time until I am aiming the gun at a target.

Safeties on pistols are anything but. safe.
If there are any unauthorized folks that get to your firearm you have a problem houston. The safety will not be a real deterrent. The "safety" is making sure no unauthorized person has access to your firearm.

If you are in the process of drawing the firearm to shoot. The "safety" is keeping your finger off the trigger.

Really you need to get competent instruction..that's the best "safety" thing you can do. Perhaps you indicated you were going to do that.

Readers digest...depending on a safety is bad practice.

You can purchase a plastic firearm and teach them to handle it. I have one for instructional purposes.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CHKIMRY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Any gun stores in your area with ranges that will let you try before you buy?

Yes there is. A good friend and firearms "expert" took me to a store with an indoor range. I wanted to rent a Glock 17 but since I'm a newbie to firearms, they had me take their "newbie" training course. I had a trainer/coach there to show me the basics and had me shoot 100 rounds of .22 from a Ruger MK IV target pistol. and I was hooked.

Here are 3 of my target sheets from that fun experience. All from 15 yards out.

IMG_20181111_225442271.jpg

IMG_20181111_225508120.jpg

IMG_20181111_225744119.jpg

There is nothing wrong with a real safety on a gun - it's a total personal choice for people. You just have to know how to use it, just like any other mechanical device in the world.

Wow, thank you for the suggestion of the EZ series from M&P. Will definitely consider that series when it comes time to upgrade. Will have to research which caliber would be better to take down a bad guy, .38 or 9mm, but that is for a future time and discussion.

Happy Holidays!

I know that your stated goals are primarily target shooting/learning and secondarily, self defense. With no concealed carry requirement, the size no longer matters.

But I would encourage you to consider a pair of calibers beyond your two previous choices; .38 special and .357 magnum.

One gun. A quality double action .357 revolver (doesn't have to be new), but capable of two calibers.

Here's why:

1. the double action revolver has the simplest operating system. No magazines to load, no slide manipulation, no safety to forget, no immediate action if there is a malfunction (just pull the trigger again).
2. the double action revolver is extremely reliable.
3. the double action .357 revolver, when loaded with .38 special target loads, has very modest recoil, is very accurate, and is great for new shooters.
4. the double action .357 revolver, when loaded with quality, full power .357 ammo, is a great self-defense weapon. .357 magnum has the highest one-shot stop effectiveness of all calibers in actual police shootings.

It's not one of your two caliber choices, but it meets your stated criteria as well (or better) than just about any particular gun discussed so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back