9 mm or .22? I'm torn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I'm new to firearms. Looking for a pistol for home defense and (mostly) range shooting. We do not plan on conceal carry. My wife and I along with my 14 yr old daughter will be taking a CPL course together when we get a pistol. My daughter is very sensitive to loud noises so I'm leaning toward something that doesn't bang too loud, though we'll have ear muffs for range shooting.

I'm torn between a Ruger Security 9 and a Ruger SR22. I like the .22 for it's low kickback, not too loud, affordable ammo and would be easy for a teenager to handle. The wifeypoo wants the 9-mm because it would effectively take down an intruder easier. I can only afford 1 right now, should I go with the Security 9 over the SR22?

A 22 is basically a bb gun. I would never use it as a self defense weapon. Go for the 9. The ammo is cheap and easily available.

And yes,always use hearing protection while shooting.

Full size 9mm. Bigger the better, maybe a Glock 17L or 34. It will be the easiest to shoot and shoot accurately. I'm a fan of CZ pistols but they do tend to cost more and ruin lessor guns forever so theres that.

A .22 won't stop an intruder unless shot in the exact right spot. He can continue to come after you other wise. A .380 as mentioned or 9mm are a better choice.

But IMO a shotgun is a much better choice than a pistol.

Last edited:
snub nose 38 hides in your pants pocket or a 9mm, all of them will hurt someone. When you carry, you feel better, don't leave home without backup these days.IMHO

What would tj hooker pack?

501px-TJHS1E01_35.jpg

Originally Posted by Chris142

How close are your neighbors, OP???

A 380s recoil with the tiny pistol is more than expected and with any caliber the ability to STOP a threat depends on shot placement. A miss with a 22 lr is the same as a miss with a 44 magnum

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by Chris142

How close are your neighbors, OP???

Closest neighbor is probably 50 yards away. I have a Mossberg 20g shotgun for home defnse too. Just looking for something smaller to use, but as stated above, this pistol will be mainly used at the range for target practice.

Originally Posted by dareo
Full size 9mm. Bigger the better, maybe a Glock 17L or 34. It will be the easiest to shoot and shoot accurately.

I looked at a Glock 17 and really like it too. Are there advantages of a longer barrel/slide? Since I don't plan on carrying (atm), I'd love a full size pistol.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
A 22 is basically a bb gun. I would never use it as a self defense weapon. Go for the 9. The ammo is cheap and easily available.

Awesome. I like that ammo is cheap and plentiful. After reading this, a 9 mm it is! Thanks! Now which brand? Are there other full size 9mm pistols that are around $500-$600 that's accurate and reliable?

Get the bigger one. If your daughter is in a situation where she needs to use it, the bang won't be a problem. Even if she misses, the bang will still send the right message. GTFO!!!

Since you already have a shotgun, daughter worried about noise and pistol will be used for lots of range shooting, .22 to start and move up to 9mm later.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
Get the bigger one. If your daughter is in a situation where she needs to use it, the bang won't be a problem. Even if she misses, the bang will still send the right message. GTFO!!!

Good point!

Originally Posted by JLTD
Since you already have a shotgun, daughter worried about noise and pistol will be used for lots of range shooting, .22 to start and move up to 9mm later.

This was exactly my train of thought. Wife's argument is, for the price of the SR 22, we can get a lot of 9-mm ammo. so that made sense to me too.

The long slide or large pistol is just a joy to go shoot. You get more recoil control, velocity, lower sound. Less likely to be pointing a longer firearm where it shouldn't be pointed too. If you want to splash some cash i'd suggest a CZ Shadow 2 pistol.

Women tend to have smaller hands, not sure I'd go full size anything. I've been in law enforcement 30 yrs, I was issued a Sig Sauer P226 9mm in 1988. Our dept moved away from 9mm in the early 2000's and we went to .45 cal in Glock 21. We upgraded to Glock 21F about ten yrs ago, I forget why something about the grip.

I personally for my off-duty concealed carry, use a Walther PPS Mk1 .40 cal s&w. I've put plenty of rounds through it on the range in basement of HQ as well as in an outdoor active movement (combat) environment.

Whatever you get the more important factor is not the firearm it is your ability to effectively use it and so training training training. But not just plinking rounds at a bulls eye. Recommend a zero-to-hero self defense course from a competent source.

I think the 9mm in a compact might be the best all around choice for your family. If you want to thump the home invasion felon harder, then a compact .40 but I have concerns as to whether or not your wife and daughter would be able to train effectively with it because compact .40's have pronounced muzzle snap. Yeah... most likely the 9mm would be the best jack of all trades here for this discussion.

I've had this home defense discussion on here before and had guys telling me to rely on my Bushmaster XM-15 for first-grab for home defense over both the Glock .45 or Walther .40. There are merits to the rifle argument but ultimately my go-to is going to be one of my handguns mainly because that's where my training emphasis has always been. I have trained with the XM-15 in static outdoor as well as combat courses but honestly I haven't kept frosty with that and the hard truth is my XM hasn't been out of the case in quite a while. We have mandatory qualification with the Glocks twice a year, range practice at least four times annually with open range time slots as often as the firearms training unit can offer for supplemental practice beyond the req'd.

I wouldn't own that Ruger, personally.

Full size 9mm. I'm a fan of CZ pistols but they do tend to cost more and ruin lessor guns forever so there's that.

AGREED - - Definitely look at the CZ-75.

It is the one pistol I use to teach all young shooters (as young as 8) and they all handle it very well.

a .22 is lethal , too - - it just takes WAY WAY WAY to kill the bad guy.

In "home defense" time is everything. You want to stop the threat quickly. Extra time will get you killed, too.

Originally Posted by Eosyn
Hi guys, I can only afford 1 right now,

Check out the Glock 42 if this will be the only gun in the house.

Female family members will not like the recoil of a 9mm and thus will not be able to shoot as accurately

The 42 is an easy shooting pistol and the .380 caliber has put many people 6 feet under I'm sorry to say.

Originally Posted by Linctex

I wouldn't own that Ruger, personally.

Full size 9mm. I'm a fan of CZ pistols but they do tend to cost more and ruin lessor guns forever so there's that.

AGREED - - Definitely look at the CZ-75.

It is the one pistol I use to teach all young shooters (as young as 8) and they all handle it very well.

a .22 is lethal , too - - it just takes WAY WAY WAY to kill the bad guy.

In "home defense" time is everything. You want to stop the threat quickly. Extra time will get you killed, too.

Ya he may die next week from his wounds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back