9 mm ammo

Why not just buy ammo locally? Plenty of places around my area that sell it, but maybe that is not the case everywhere?
It may not be a decent price locally. Most of my stores locally are like .30-50cpr on 9mm still. Or can get it online for .14-16cpr for new brass manufacture. Kind of a no-brainer.

Don't discount driving around. I found one store that seems to have ammo the cheapest, I think they buy by the pallet, as they have enough store traffic to turn it over. Plus you can always window shop while there. :)
Why not just buy ammo locally? Plenty of places around my area that sell it, but maybe that is not the case everywhere?
There is an advantage to cash and carry. However it depends on what value you place on that.

Usually local sales are not insignificant markup, and let's not discount the time/value of money, fuel, wear and tear, increasing odds of accidents, etc. all costs of driving around.

There is an advantage to cash and carry. However it depends on what value you place on that.

Usually local sales are not insignificant markup, and let's not discount the time/value of money, fuel, wear and tear, increasing odds of accidents, etc. all costs of driving around.
It all depends on the area I guess. I just bought 9mm range ammo for $11.99/box of 50.

If you are worried about fuel, wear and tear, and accidents I would suggest to just stay home.

If you are worried about fuel, wear and tear, and accidents I would suggest to just stay home.
I bill at $300-400+ per hour. Fuel is $4 per gallon. An unnecessary drive increases chances of accidents from ~0% to greater than 0%, so risk management is part of life. Needless trips are a no-go, and an accident is a real setback economically or health wise (I've had several friends in bad accidents, who suffer lifelong injuries - car accidents are one of the most dangerous things people expose themselves to regularly). So, yeah, it's not cost effective for me to drive around to save $10 or $50. YMMV.

11.99 a box, that's not going to happen around here..
Cheapest I have seen it in a long time and there seems to be plenty of supply now. Rifle ammo seems to be starting to become more readily available and prices aren't crazy. I realize prices vary widely around the country.

bill at $300-400+ per hour. Fuel is $4 per gallon. An unnecessary drive increases chances of accidents from ~0% to greater than 0%, so risk management is part of life. Needless trips are a no-go, and an accident is a real setback economically or health wise (I've had several friends in bad accidents, who suffer lifelong injuries - car accidents are one of the most dangerous things people expose themselves to regularly). So, yeah, it's not cost effective for me to drive around to save $10 or $50. YMMV.
Fair enough. I live >50 miles from work. I think nothing of hopping into a car and driving for an hour. Grew up that way, still like it that way, to me driving is relaxing. Then again, I think of any place that has traffic lights as a "city", so YMMV. [AFAIK, within a 10 mile, maybe 20 mile, radius of my home, there are 2 regular traffic lights. A few that blink, but only 2 that are the classic green/yellow/red.]

So, for me at least, hitting up a few stores on the way home from work... is trivial. YMMV.

But you are right, driving for an hour and spending $4/gallon, plus depreciation, to save a few bucks on a box of bullets... is a fool's errand.

Then again, I think of any place that has traffic lights as a "city", so YMMV. [AFAIK, within a 10 mile, maybe 20 mile, radius of my home, there are 2 regular traffic lights. A few that blink, but only 2 that are the classic green/yellow/red.]

So, for me at least, hitting up a few stores on the way home from work... is trivial. YMMV.
Got it. But as a lawyer, and a risk assessment expert, needless driving is the most dangerous activity most Americans regularly engage in. Car accidents can be very very bad. Just today had a client consult where a client's significant other was T-boned in a accident, fault in dispute, probably hundreds of thousands of dollars in dispute long term given injuries, disability, and property damage. Will take probably years and tens of thousands of dollars to litigate. Who knows ultimately the result, but some careless person cost another hundreds of thousands in damages and pain and suffering.... Factor that....

Against hunting around for an afternoon to save $50 on several cases of ammo...

Do the math.

Look. I've lived an extremely risky life. I'm a 4x war vet. A former active duty paratrooper. I've dealt with explosives. Guns. IED exposure. Potential enemy contact. I've spend 2 years in active war zones where people were dying regularly. I've ridden on the most dangerous roads in the world. At this point in my life, I just simply don't drive anywhere absent significant cause... driving around to hunt for ammo discounts is not even on my radar... Driving in the US is by far the most dangerous stuff folks here do. Don't just do it to save $5.

Got it. But as a lawyer, and a risk assessment expert, needless driving is the most dangerous activity most Americans regularly engage in. Car accidents can be very very bad. Just today had a client consult where a client's significant other was T-boned in a accident, fault in dispute, probably hundreds of thousands of dollars in dispute long term given injuries, disability, and property damage. Will take probably years and tens of thousands of dollars to litigate. Who knows ultimately the result, but some careless person cost another hundreds of thousands in damages and pain and suffering.... Factor that....

Against hunting around for an afternoon to save $50 on several cases of ammo...

Do the math.

Look. I've lived an extremely risky life. I'm a 4x war vet. A former active duty paratrooper. I've dealt with explosives. Guns. IED exposure. Potential enemy contact. I've spend 2 years in active war zones where people were dying regularly. I've ridden on the most dangerous roads in the world. At this point in my life, I just simply don't drive anywhere absent significant cause... driving around to hunt for ammo discounts is not even on my radar... Driving in the US is by far the most dangerous stuff folks here do. Don't just do it to save $5.
Suddenly, riding my scooters for work commute and random errands, on US roads, makes me an absolute badass.

Suddenly, riding my scooters for work commute and random errands, on US roads, makes me an absolute badass.
Make light of it if you choose. 16 year high in traffic fatalities in 2021.

"NHTSA projects that an estimated 42,915 people died in motor vehicle traffic crashes last year, a 10.5% increase from the 38,824 fatalities in 2020. The projection is the highest number of fatalities since 2005 and the largest annual percentage increase in the Fatality Analysis Reporting System’s history. ..."

Doesn't reflect serious debilitating injuries and the significant economic costs.

FYI, that's a 1 year total, almost as many combat deaths in the decade Vietnam war, and it's 4x the number of deaths in a 2 front GWOT in Iraq and Afghanistan over ~30 combined years, with enemy combatants actively trying to kill Americas. Driving in the US is quite dangerous b/c people drive very recklessly. Per year, your odds of dying on American roads is quite high, compared to US casualties in GWOT. Many times higher, weirdly. It's a complex equation.

I've had several friends who suffered broken backs and broken necks, traumatic brain injuries, and other serious injuries, from car accidents, and none of their drives were worth the injuries. Driving for stupid reasons is a fools errand IMO. YMMV as they say. Best wishes and buckle up for those $5 savings!

Last edited:
Make light of it if you choose. 16 year high in traffic fatalities in 2021.

"NHTSA projects that an estimated 42,915 people died in motor vehicle traffic crashes last year, a 10.5% increase from the 38,824 fatalities in 2020. The projection is the highest number of fatalities since 2005 and the largest annual percentage increase in the Fatality Analysis Reporting System’s history. ..."

Doesn't reflect serious debilitating injuries and the significant economic costs.

FYI, that's a 1 year total, almost as many combat deaths in the decade Vietnam war, and it's 4x the number of deaths in a 2 front GWOT in Iraq and Afghanistan over ~30 combined years, with enemy combatants actively trying to kill Americas. Driving in the US is quite dangerous b/c people drive very recklessly. Per year, your odds of dying on American roads is quite high, compared to US casualties in GWOT. Many times higher, weirdly. It's a complex equation.

I've had several friends who suffered broken backs and broken necks, traumatic brain injuries, and other serious injuries, from car accidents, and none of their drives were worth the injuries. Driving for stupid reasons is a fools errand IMO. YMMV as they say. Best wishes and buckle up for those $5 savings!
ZZZzzzzz-

Risk management is a skill that everyone has to engage in. Decide what is too risky, then take steps to mitigate that risk—or accept the risk as-is. Thing is, like investing, everyone has a different risk tolerance, and even then, it can vary in categories. For instance, one might elect to own a car with >10 airbags—yet still own a motorcycle.

FYI, that's a 1 year total, almost as many combat deaths in the decade Vietnam war
So it’s fair to compare any number against any number. I get it, Vietnam was a conflict, and it was expected people would die—but driving is meant to be safe, and no one is supposed to die. Why is such a “safe” wholesome full blooded American activity such as driving actually so dangerous? [Sorry to our non-USA members, as a proud citizen I get to lay claim to, well, everything. You’re not allowed apple pie either.]

I did some quick googling and Wikipedia (the fount of all knowledge) indicates 58k killed total, 47k in combat, over the 10 year conflict. Out of 2.7M that served. Google indicates the US has 233M drivers. That’s nearly 10x the number of drivers as compared to those who served. That it took 10 years of a bloody conflict to equal just one year’s carnage on our roads is a sobering thought. But is it a fair comparison? Putting aside that driving is a voluntary action and serving wasn’t, if we look at rates, what can be seen? 58k/2.7M is 2%; while that’s over a 10 year span I think we can squint our eyes and consider that a yearly rate? Meanwhile, 43k/233M is 0.02%, or about 100 times more safer.

I guess safe is a ”relative” thing, comparing that which is expected to be deadly against that which is expected to be routine and safe.

There’s 10.7M swimming pools in the USA, and about 4k drownings per year, for a rate of 0.04%. What can be said about that? Most people drive daily (that might be a stretch to say, I’ll admit), most do not swim daily, so is owning a swimming pool more dangerous than owning a car? Arguably swimming should be more fun, and better to your health, than sitting a car and driving. Should we avoid swimming pools as much as we can?

Risk. Everyone picks what they think is risky, and what isn’t, and it doesn’t always make sense to each other when we compare.

As for drowning analogy, these are largely supporting of my proposition of people who failed at risk management. Most are children, who were not swimming necessarily but fell into water or otherwise not correctly supervised by irresponsible adults. Much of the rest are intoxicated or otherwise adults making poor swimming decisions in open water. More failed risk management.

I merely raised the risk management angle to suggest/support the idea that it is silly to drive around aimlessly for no good reason. That's all. Let someone else take the risk, go online, order something, have it delivered.

Target Sports USA has been good.

SGammo has been my long time go-to. New ammo. Good price. Free shipping over $200.

9mm is still a bit pricey compared with many years ago, but it’s not crazy like two years ago.
Prices at SG are horrible.

Prices at SG are horrible.
Compared to what?

Three years ago? Sure.

Everyone else selling today?

He’s very competitive.

Maybe not on every caliber, but shop around, compare, and remember that he offers free shipping.

Except for the other day that was the last time I went shooting was about 3 years ago, when ammo prices were crazy..

Compared to what?

1,000 rounds
Cheapest 9mm brass

SG...$419
Target.Sports..$250

cheapest .380

Sg..$380
TargetSports...$315

cheapest .45

SG...$480
Target...$460

SG..7cents
Target.. 6.2

And I can beat Taret any day of the week on amoseek. And consider well over 50% of sales are 9mm

Back