'88 Volvo 740 Motorcraft 5W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a little test to see how a thin oil would do in my high-miler Volvo. Motorcraft 5W20 was run for 2000 KM. Vehicle has 372,500 KM and is driven hard through the mountains 200 KM every day. Bypass filter is installed. Fuel dilution continues to be a problem with this vehicle, silicon is high. Sample done by Metrotech Calgary.

code:

Tin 0

Lead 1

Copper 1

Aluminum 4

Silicon 15

Iron 8

Chromium 0.5

Silver 0

Zinc 900

Magnesium 4

Nickel 0

Barium 0

Sodium 4

Calcium 2000+

Vanadium 0

Phosphorus 798

Molybdenum 204

Boron 54

Manganese 4

PHYSICAL PROPERTIES

Viscosity (D445) @ 100ºC 7.098

Water (D4007) (% v/v) 0

Solids (D4007) (% v/v) 0

Glycol No

Fuel Dilution YES

Tommy,

Thanks for posting.

In the winter months here in VT, I would find myself irritated by a brief lifter tick from the hydralic lifters on my '95 850 running m1's 5w-30.

Even though I installed an oil pressure guage to help monitor things, this report makes me feel a little more at ease with the idea of swapping a qt or two of 5w-30 with 0/5w-20 to help with cold start flow/short trip mpg. I'm also going to try GC 0w-30 for a year long run, as I only drive 5-7K miles a year. GC's higher running viscosity over m1's I feel i'll appreciate as I tow a trailer from time to time.

Thanks again.

Moly? Where did all of the moly come from?
dunno.gif

I'm no expert, but it looks like it's doing OK. I was under the impression that these Volvos liked SAE 30-40 viscosity oils? Is this the GLE or Turbo? Maybe the cold Canadian winter and the 5w20 was a good match. Fuel dilution was probably the main factor in the resulting 7.1 cSt, which would scare the socks off most I believe.

Looks good...too short of an interval to guage anything other than to say if it was used during a 'Calgary winter' then the oil wasn't so thin after all.

quote:

Is this the GLE or Turbo?

It is a GLE.

quote:

Moly? Where did all of the moly come from?

From the Motorcraft oil I presume.

quote:

would not run this oil in my red block in the summmer, but that's just me. Do a longer interval and get back with us.

I have decided to go up a grade to 5W30.

quote:

Silicon at 15ppm in only 2km? Ouch!

Yes, its high....I will get on that this weekend!

(Moly? Where did all that moly come from?)
BITOG VOA Library shows MC 5W20 moly to be 33. So, where did 204 come from? I also use MC 5W20. If anyone can explain this, I would greatly appreciate it.
confused.gif

Sorry, Tommy. I didn't mean to say that your lab was wrong; but in all the Tech Sheets that I read and in all of the information that I find, MC 5W20 is always approximately thirty-three, more or less. When I saw 204, I was curious as to where it came from. I'm really puzzeled and curious. I appreciate your analysis. It looks very good, but I'm curious about the 204 moly. If you come up with anything, please let me know.
burnout.gif

It has to be the Motorcraft......prior to this, I ran only Amsoil for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back