87C Thermostat - What Temp Should the Engine Run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, if the temp sensor is on the other side of the head.

I had a dodge spirit 2.5 like this: coolant came in on the passenger side, the sensor was over there, it worked over to the driver's side, t-stat, and rad hose.

When I'd zip up a hill, working the engine, the t-stat would open further, causing more flow, and more cool coolant to hit my gauge sender, actually indicating things to be running cooler.

It is interesting to me how it's reporting such a consistent temp but with a bias.

A quick update:

Commute home last night was the normal 25 mile highway run. VCDS showed 102C all the way, and I parked the car in the garage as I normally do. This time the temp didn't rise over the 102C, and actually dropped to 99C pretty quickly.

The aux fan never turned on. I shot a flashlight down between the radiator and the A/C condenser and saw some debris. The are mounted too close to fit an air gun down in there, so it looks like my weekend project is to remove the bumper and pull the condenser to the side and clean them both. Hopefully this helps the problem.

Ford Tauruses in the '96-2008 variety are particularity prone to the radiator getting externally clogged with plant fibers. When you took it out to clean it the only areas open were where the two fans were.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
A quick update:

Commute home last night was the normal 25 mile highway run. VCDS showed 102C all the way, and I parked the car in the garage as I normally do. This time the temp didn't rise over the 102C, and actually dropped to 99C pretty quickly.

The aux fan never turned on. I shot a flashlight down between the radiator and the A/C condenser and saw some debris. The are mounted too close to fit an air gun down in there, so it looks like my weekend project is to remove the bumper and pull the condenser to the side and clean them both. Hopefully this helps the problem.

102*C is pretty warm..check your radiator fan switch too while you are in there. If there is any doubt..replace it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back