86 Suzuki Samurai - Cleaning

Recently acquired an 86 Samurai with a 1.3L 4 cyl mileage unknown (probably around 100K), would like to do a gentle cleaning with via oil. The valve seals were pretty hard and brittle which caused it to smoke at startup. Changed the valve seals and it doesn't smoke but I've noticed it's using oil, no leaks that I see. So probably pretty dirty inside. Of course with a vehicle like this economical works the best. How about ST 10w-40 syn blend at 3K intervals?

if you want to "flush out crud" with oil that might work.
To actually do any "cleaning" you need an oil that has components that "Clean"

I've got an 87 tintop and changed the valve seals as well. I've got 15w-40 delvac in it right now and that seems to be fine. I had 5w-30 in it change before and consumption/smoke was noticeably worse than with the 15w-40. I'm sure 10w-30 would be just fine as well. These little trucks aren't picky. Keeping them full is more important than what they're full of.

samurai.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 189862

Took this from my brother, he bought it non-running. Two months later passed CA smog and away we go. No interior but I don't care, runs great.
You'll have fun playing with it.. If you want a cheap mud tire recommendation that fits without rubbing and run surprisingly quiet on the street these are good:

They are out of stock now, but will pop back up when they get in another batch.

I'm about to have to figure out how to work on king pins.. I have a couple seals leaking on my front axle.

I did a 2" lift on mine and 235/75-15 tires would tuck into the fenders with no rubbing on stock wheels. There was a lift where you'd use front CJ springs in the rear and use the rear Samurai springs with a couple of leaves removed on the front. You had to make new fixed end brackets to keep the axles centered but it rode and worked great. Someone actually made a kit with the brackets BITD. I got too nervous driving it on the roads and sold it. Tiny little thing, no safety features, distracted drivers etc.

I'm thinking about a RUF lift but first I need to fix all the little things. This was really for my teenage daughter since she liked it but after driving it she prefers something faster :(. I don't mind driving to work, better fuel economy then my diesel truck :).

I'm thinking about a RUF lift but first I need to fix all the little things. This was really for my teenage daughter since she liked it but after driving it she prefers something faster :(. I don't mind driving to work, better fuel economy then my diesel truck :).
Everybody's different but I'd never put a teen driver in a Samurai and speed has nothing to do with it. It looks in great shape and tintops are pretty rare. You've got the makings of a fun cheap offroader there. It doesn't take much to make it very capable. The RUF/CJR is a good budget lift and the ride is better.

Last edited:
I did a 2" lift on mine and 235/75-15 tires would tuck into the fenders with no rubbing on stock wheels. There was a lift where you'd use front CJ springs in the rear and use the rear Samurai springs with a couple of leaves removed on the front. You had to make new fixed end brackets to keep the axles centered but it rode and worked great. Someone actually made a kit with the brackets BITD. I got too nervous driving it on the roads and sold it. Tiny little thing, no safety features, distracted drivers etc.
I had one and loved it. I thought the base was a bit narrow and "tipsy" so never thought a lift was safe.

Back