-81°F, I think is bogus for GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
If the right esters are used, a pour point this low CAN be achieved. I've seen two motor oils that have pour points this low: Motul 0w40 and the German Castrol 0w30.

Good to know about the Motul. Also, NEO 0W5 has a pour point -80 F.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Mark,

No fair...coming out of "retirement" to bash the green.
grin.gif

All's fair in love & oil!
tongue.gif

Don't forget,Schaeffer's oil was green way-before the "German Invasion".
rolleyes.gif

Mark

quote:

Originally posted by Tim H.:
OK, weather it peforms at cold is one thing, and hot is another. but what is it going to look like at 5000 miles?

Like this (from my sister's 99 Civic):

code:

Mobil 1 5w30 Castrol 0w30

8000 miles 5500 miles

Iron 19 14

Lead 10 4.5

Aluminum 5.2 2.5

Copper 3.8 3.0

Silicon 8 11

Nickel 0.1 0

Chromium 3 0.8

Titanium 0.1 0

Tin 0.2 0

Silver 0.4 0.2

Vanadium 0.2 0

Potassium 0 0

Sodium 6.5 1.5

Boron 118 16

Barium 0 0.1

Manganese 226 149

Calcium 2834 3003

Magnesium 50 129

Moly 82 15

Phosphorus 902 781

Zinc 1091 998

Fuel 0 0

Glycol 0 0

Water 0 0

Sulfation 49% 23%

Oxidation 51% 29%

Nitration 37% 21%

VI 174 182

Vis @ 40c 50.6 62.1

Vis @ 100c 9.5 11.5

TBN (D4739) 5.27 6.90

Does the fact that the VOAs are showing GC to contain like 9ppm-11ppm or so of iron bother anyone? It does me for such a 'great' oil. Would this amount of iron cause any unnecessary wear or issues or does it depend on on the particle size? Also, since the VOA/UOA only picks-up particles smaller than 10 microns(?), is it probable that there is more iron in there that the analysis isn't catching? I just do not remember seeing other VOAs from M1, Amsoil, Redline, etc having consistent and fairly good amounts of iron in them.

It definitely bothers me that some of the batches show 9ppm of iron, but you'll also notice that in the UOAs it doesn't seem to increase the overall engine wear at all. If the UOAs started showing significant wear problems, we'd know about it by now, there are four great reports on this oil so far.

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
I sent in a VOA that showed 4ppm iron.

These analyses are elemental metals. These are not particles even close to large enough to cause wear.

This must be true, since didn't we see one report on here where the VOA showed 9ppm of iron and then so did the same UOA from the same person? This would prove that this iron didn't cause further wear.

I sent the URL of GC specs to Castrol tech line a while back. They called me back re specs and said they are incorrect re pour point etc. Ze plot thickens me thinks!!

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
I sent the URL of GC specs to Castrol tech line a while back. They called me back re specs and said they are incorrect re pour point etc. Ze plot thickens me thinks!!

The problem is that the early data sheets did have (slightly) different numbers. The data sheet that Castrol Germany sent me is the most recent one.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
They called me back re specs and said they are incorrect re pour point etc. Ze plot thickens me thinks!!

Pour point error...thickens...that's GOOD!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Asmodeus:
Patman,

Canadian Tire, jacked up the GC to $6.99 a liter. Might as well go back to buying it at Wallmart for $6.66.

You know the law of supply and demand...when supply goes down and demand goes up...

[ September 07, 2003, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

quote:

Patman,

Canadian Tire, jacked up the GC to $6.99 a liter. Might as well go back to buying it at Wallmart for $6.66.

You know the law of supply and demand...when supply goes down and demand goes up...

Not here my friend, we probably have a secret new tax on excellent oils.
grin.gif

I sent in a VOA that showed 4ppm iron.

These analyses are elemental metals. These are not particles even close to large enough to cause wear.

Lol on the GCST!!!
lol.gif

The blood sucking taxes have not deterred my purchases.

I am now the proud owner of 35L of German Castrol. Another 7L and I should be ok for the winter.

quote:

Lol on the GCST!!!
lol.gif

The blood sucking taxes have not deterred my purchases.

I am now the proud owner of 35L of German Castrol. Another 7L and I should be ok for the winter.

So you bought them all from the Montreal area....
tongue.gif

If anyone is interested I did the cold temperature pour test on the Castrol this weekend. It certainly does NOT pour at -81º F. It had the consistency of a thick grease and much harder. It wasn't completely hard though and I was able to put dents into the fluid at that temperature.

I had Amsoil 10W-40 in the ice tank with the Castrol and the Amsoil appeared to perform similarly. I also had Schaeffer's 15W-40 but at -81º F this oil was so thick that I couldn't remove my thermocouple from the oil until it thawed.

quote:

Mystic, my friend,

We don't want to use a motor oil that is "common." Enjoy the exclusivity; revel in the rarity; and savor the scarcity.
grin.gif

...you have such a wonderful way with words...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back