80w-90 vs 85w-140

Well he has is own beliefs. One being that pz and qs make sludge. He is good at what he does but is not an oil nerd like us.
This is my experience also. Good mechanics sometimes don't know anything about lubricants.

It's your axle. Let him fill it with 140 from the start and change it after you break it in, maybe after 500 miles or so.
Agreed. I have heard more than one person claim conventional gear lube is preferred for the break-in of an aftermarket gearset, and have read the same on some of the Jeep forums. I am not sure if any of that is true, but there is certainly no harm in following the builder's recommendation for the break-in oil.

I wasted good synthetic not accepting that my new Jeep would take 10k to stop shedding metal. Then - used 85W140 to get there. Now have 80W90 in - and will not use synthetic until 20K or more …

CarbonSteel has posted the same wrt his Rubicon

dana states a 75-90 real synthetic is usually suitable replacing lesser 75-140's theres also a 75-110 option from redline

I wasted good synthetic not accepting that my new Jeep would take 10k to stop shedding metal. Then - used 85W140 to get there. Now have 80W90 in - and will not use synthetic until 20K or more …

CarbonSteel has posted the same wrt his Rubicon
Coulda saved lube, time and hassle if you had the gears REM polished before they went in 😎

I think the rear end is starting to fail in my 05 Silverado, 235k miles...I had the axle seals replaced last xmas and just noticed doing the last tire rotation it's starting to leak again from the same side....also seems like excess play forward and backward when turning the wheel and changing direction...and possibly excess side to side play. No noise when driving yet.

Is it worth trying 85w140 to try to get through to summer before rebuilding or swapping the rear? We get as cold as minus 20 C here.

I think the rear end is starting to fail in my 05 Silverado, 235k miles...I had the axle seals replaced last xmas and just noticed doing the last tire rotation it's starting to leak again from the same side....also seems like excess play forward and backward when turning the wheel and changing direction...and possibly excess side to side play. No noise when driving yet.

Is it worth trying 85w140 to try to get through to summer before rebuilding or swapping the rear? We get as cold as minus 20 C here.
Others may chime in with a different opinion, but -20°C is -4°F and that is too cold for conventional gear oil to effectively flow.

I would use a cheap 75W-140 instead. I am assuming you are talking about extending the life versus stopping the leak as that will not likely happen no matter what oil is used.

Last edited:

I doubt that would make much difference in the leak. Your axles may have a grove where the lip of the seal rides. My Suburban had that issue and needed new axles to correct it.

Others may chime in with a different opinion, but -20°C is -4°F and that is too cold for conventional gear oil to effectively flow.

I would use a cheap 75W-140 instead. I am assuming you are talking about extending the life versus stopping the leak as that will not likely happen no matter what oil is used.
Yeah I just to want to prevent it from getting much worse before I can get it fixed.

I doubt that would make much difference in the leak. Your axles may have a grove where the lip of the seal rides. My Suburban had that issue and needed new axles to correct it.
Yeah I assume that's likely why it began leaking again (shop didn't inform me of the wear which was likely there the first time the seal failed). I can spray off the oil with brake cleaner every 5k or so, but I was mostly worried about the rest of the rear end degrading before I get the chance to rebuild it. I'm betting there is more than just the axle worn out.

Back