80w-90 vs 85w-140

The guy that's rebuilding the rear axle in my Jeep wants me to use 85w-140 in it. Jeep says 80w-90 for normal use and 85w -140 for towing.

I don't tow anything with it.

He is pretty adamant about it too.

I don't think I need 85w-140 plus I have lots of Amsoil 80w -90 I want to use.

The guy that's rebuilding the rear axle in my Jeep wants me to use 85w-140 in it. Jeep says 80w-90 for normal use and 85w -140 for towing.

why did it need rebuilding?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220227-061030.jpg
    Screenshot_20220227-061030.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 128
those could use a bit more viscosity, the rpm is very low and the temperatures high. I'm sure that's why he wants 85W-140 in it. Towing makes both conditions even worse of course.

But are you going to keep it another 180k miles?

85-140 is much thicker than a 90 wt. Thicker oil protects better from shock loading. Unless you see below freezing temps use the thicker oil off roading. Using the Amsoil will give you the same life as the old unit or more if changed as needed.

You bring in you rear end to a guy you hopefully trust to rebuild the rear end then you question his oil choice???

I can't afford to replace it. Especially at the todays prices. I plan on driving it into the ground or untill it gets destroyed by another driver. I really enjoy driving it.

There's a decent chance you wouldn't have had to replace those bearings with some thicker oil in it. There really shouldn't be much metal contact if the viscosity is aequate. But since rpm is 0 just before you start, there always will be some contact obviously.

For my own car I did the calcs for wheel bearings, and 75W-140 is the lowest I should consider (slow driving after getting bearings hot, so low viscosity low rpm). I have ball bearings though, they can do with less viscosity.

I’m sure either would be fine. Nothing wrong with the heavier oil in your climate.

I can't afford to replace it. Especially at the todays prices. I plan on driving it into the ground or untill it gets destroyed by another driver. I really enjoy driving it.
Plus that's a good year for the Wranglers. I think you should use up what you got. I doubt a heavier gear oil will make much difference.

I'm sure either viscosity would be fine but the big question is what the rebuilder requires to maintain his warranty. If you don't follow his warranty requirements he probably will not back his work if you have a problem.

Did that unit leak? Running low on lube would be my guess as to why the bearing failed. Early 2000s Jeeps had problems with leaking axle seals in my experience.

Back