7k dump trailer

Looking at 7k dump trailers. 6x10

It is not a huge size, but with GVWR should be within the Tahoe tow ratings of 7,200 LBS (for a 5.3/3.43), plus I have a 6.0 swapped in it. Also that size trailer isn't too small where it'd be pointless behind a 3/4 ton truck. Looks as if they'll easily carry 2 ton so that would be really great for smaller loads of gravel, mulch, topsoil, etc. Pretty much anything a homeowner would need.

Some have 12 ga floors, some have 10 ga.

Anyone have a dump trailer and can comment on gauge of floor or sizes? This thing may see some logs or heavy bits unloaded into it from a couple of feet above the floor from a sub-compact tractor loader. My concern is unloading something and hurting the floor. Maybe I am too ignorant on gauge of steel and worrying too much? I am not a pro with metal.

Thanks.

My father has a 6x10 dump trailer (dual axle, 12 ga floor) he pulls with a 5.7L Grand Cherokee. It is 15 years old and has been holding up well to hauling several loads of mulch, dirt, gravel, firewood, stone, you name it. Definitely a back saver, and it has held up given the abuse it has seen (he isn't good with equipment and maintenance).

My father has a 6x10 dump trailer (dual axle, 12 ga floor) he pulls with a 5.7L Grand Cherokee. It is 15 years old and has been holding up well to hauling several loads of mulch, dirt, gravel, firewood, stone, you name it. Definitely a back saver, and it has held up given the abuse it has seen (he isn't good with equipment and maintenance).
Thanks, that is helpful. Also forgot to mention, yeah dual axle for me as well. That has got to really help with towing these things behind a 1/2 ton.

For homeowner use I wouldn’t worry about the thickness of the floor. Your main enemy will be rust so make sure you get it sprayed if you ever plan to use it in the winter. Even if you don’t it’ll probably still benefit from rustproofing.

Gauge just depends on what you’re hauling.. “Homeowner usage” would be fine with 12 IMO. Our dump trailer at work is made from 12 and it’s used and abused.

It’d be lighter too.

Gauge just depends on what you’re hauling.. “Homeowner usage” would be fine with 12 IMO. Our dump trailer at work is made from 12 and it’s used and abused.

It’d be lighter too.
Well that is reassuring knowing 12ga has been used well. Thank you!

For homeowner use I wouldn’t worry about the thickness of the floor. Your main enemy will be rust so make sure you get it sprayed if you ever plan to use it in the winter. Even if you don’t it’ll probably still benefit from rustproofing.
Absolutely, would definitely wool wax the unit.

Back