79 ford ltd rear main

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a buddy of mine has a 79 ford ltd 302 automatic. Needs a new rear main seal. He asked me to do it.

Now I'm very familiar with the modern crown victoria and i know what i need for it to drop the trans. And they are really easy.

Now all i have are hand tools, no lift, no power tools.

Should i even attempt with a 79. Do i need specific tools for this.

Any advice would be appreciated, suggestions on specific sockets,(like the socket needed for the drive shaft bolts)

All and all seems straight forward job.

i had one of those! easiest to pull the engine.you must remove the trans from the engine but leave it in the car and lift the engine up anyway. then you can barely get the pan.off.just pull it,put on stand and flip it over. no need to pull the trans.

a 79 is a 2 piece rear seal, completly different than a 1 piece your familiar with.

Last edited:
If you can get the pan off you will need a Chinese finger to do the 2 piece seal (rubber or rope).
Its not difficult but it would be helpful if you had an old timer with some experience with these types of seals to do it right enough to seal without removing the crank. .
The rope seals made today are not good, the asbestos is gone from them. The old ones were good but you wont find one with asbestos unless its NOS. Use the rubber if its offered.

You will have a better chance of success with the rubber without lowering or removing the crank.

I have done dozens of rope seals over the years with good success using the finger but it takes patience, loosening the caps and rolling the seal a little with a dowel first. Use the rubber one.
Get this tool, its a must.

http://www.tooltopia.com/kd-tools-492.as...CFQMT7AodrBYAVQ

Wade a minnit. If it is a 2 piece rope seal, why does the transmission have to come out? If it is an O-ring,yes, but not for a 2 piece seal. At least not on Jeep V8s. All I ever needed was a brass drift and pliers

you cant get the pan out with the engine in the car.its a double hump pan with 2 drain plugs and it hugs the front crossmember.

you must unbolt the engine from the trans,exhaust,mounts etc to lift the engine high enough to get the pan out. then work on your back hoping that the engine does no fall. far easier to just pull it completely and put it on a stand.

jeeps are easy!

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: sasha
So a buddy of mine has a 79 ford ltd 302 automatic. Needs a new rear main seal. He asked me to do it.

Why would he ask you to do it?
Why would you think about doing it?

What are the pros & cons of you accepting to do it?

He's paying me. Helped him before on another car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back