75w-85 vs 90 longevity

So we have 2019 santa fe AWD, oem.is 75w-85 usually our other cars have used a 90 weight.
My question is......did they chose an 85 weight for meg's or longevity?

We want to keep this car a LONG time.

Would you swap it out for a 90?

Oh geez another car company who specs this freakin stuff. I went with Delvac 75w90 in my vehicle and noticed ZERO impact.

75w90 is easier to find at a good price. There is nothing wrong with using 75w90 :)

Also, most people never change the gear oil in the diff, and they alsmost never have problems. They go to the junkyard on the factory fill
I agree 100%. My last two cars/trucks called for 75w85 and I put 75w90 in both...no issues whatsoever. Actually, that was the least of my problems.

So we have 2019 santa fe AWD, oem.is 75w-85 usually our other cars have used a 90 weight.

You likely can run the original gear oil a very long time without any problems. The changing of the gear oil probably isn't even mentioned in the maintenance manual for normal service.

I also have a 2019 SantaFe AWD and I love how inconsistent Hyundai is in their manuals.. I have the Hyundai service manual for the 2019 Santa Fe also..

In the owners manual, it calls for 75W85 in both transfer case, and differential,

In the service manual, it calls for 75w85 in the transfer case, and 75w90 in the differential.

I also have the previous GEN Santa Fe service manual and I am 99.9% sure both the 2019+ and the 2018=< have the same transfer case and differential. and in the previous GEN manual calls for 75W90 in both the transfer case and the differential.

I did a fluid swap for both the trans and diff last week, and I went with 75W85 in both (Red Line).. I think my next fluid change I will go with 75W90 in both...

Last edited:
As far as I know, all the 75W-85 products are non-sulfur/phos chemistry, so shifting is easier and synchronizers last longer. Most (not all) 75W-90 are sulfur/phos.
I drained the standard whatever came in a Chinese van and put in the new chemistry 75W-85 and changed the entire shifting characteristics, so have been doing that for customers for several years now.

Reactions: Y_K
Hi Nick.. Do you mind sharing how much metal you found on the two drain bolts once you perform the fluid swap... My Santa Fe only has like 37,000km and amount of metal the magnetic caught on both bots was like flush with the top of the bolt, since the magnet is inset a bit on the bolt shaft..

I kinda thought that seemed like a lot of metal for only 37,000km.. but might be normal..

Thanks for your feedback...

Thanks y'all.
I'm going with 75w-90

As far as I know, all the 75W-85 products are non-sulfur/phos chemistry, so shifting is easier and synchronizers last longer. Most (not all) 75W-90 are sulfur/phos.
I drained the standard whatever came in a Chinese van and put in the new chemistry 75W-85 and changed the entire shifting characteristics, so have been doing that for customers for several years now.
i checked there oil analysis 75w85 has a lot of phosphorus https://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic...-85-api-gl-5-08885-02506-zhestebanka-svezhee/

Back