7 year old Mobil 1 oil, looks fine, change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
A UOA would cost more than buying new oil.

Change it and the filter.

Yabut the value of that UOA to BITOG members is huge. How else you gonna answer the question as to whether it is still good or not?

To the OP. This is a joke right? Just trying to see how many forum members are stupid enough to recommend you not change it? Why anyone would even consider not changing the oil and filter under these circumstances is absolutely amazing. Most oil manufacturers list the shelf life of new oil in UNOPENED containers as 5 years. There was a car collector on a forum I used to frequent that actively sought and bought barn find classic cars. Just for the fun of it, he had UOA performed on the oil in a car that had been sitting for 25 years. The oil checked out OK. Just another example of why I consider UOAs to be a supreme waste of money.

Last edited:
CHANGE IT!!!

What are you trying to save......the engine or the friggin $30 oil and filter change?

Last edited:
Especially on a carb'd engine, I'm sure that crankcase is full of fuel. And we need some pics! Who doesn't love an Omni with a pickup bed!

Is it a 2.2? What was the other engine offered? 1.6 Peugeot?

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
7 years and you guys say leave it?? Ok.....

Exactly,ridiculous advice to leave 7 year old oil in any car. Original poster,do yourself a favor and change the oil and the filter. There is moisture in your oil.If you do not change the filter,you run the risk of parts of the media breaking off blocking critical passages.

Dodge gave me a nice pair of boots to take a test drive in that vehicle.
Change the oil and all the fluids before any real use. If for nothing else to get a better look at all the working systems. The brakes would be a very iffy thing after sitting that much.

Photos, as requested. It's a 5 speed manual, cruise control, has AC (not working, but all components there, so hopefully just a charge). No power steering.

The bucket seats are actually quite comfortable. It also has a 1980s era cargo cover that is easy to fully remove, and also locks down. The shifter is floppy. But I googled, and on the Omni forum it actually seems like a fairly common issue. There's even a kit made to correct it.

And, if Wikipedia is to be believed, it's actually half-ton rated.

20170201_131233_zpsdy8i3bfj.jpg

20170201_131413_zpsbiftawvo.jpg

20170201_131002_zpsgri1iwej.jpg

Last edited:
I would not only change the oil and filter, but also all the other fluids and filters on the vehicle.

LOL. Part of the appeal in getting it was just how different and weird it is. I do wish mine had an original two-tone 80s paint job with all the decals.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Congrats on finding the ugliest car ever made! OK, maybe the Gremlin was uglier, not sure....
grin.gif

Its cool though, a redneck dream, El Camino-mini!

Seriously though, I wish they made El Camino -style cars these days.
rampage-22.jpg

I drove it home, well over an hour on the freeway, and have driven it around town a bit, on the oil it has. I am intrigued by the UOA suggestions.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Just for the fun of it, he had UOA performed on the oil in a car that had been sitting for 25 years. The oil checked out OK. Just another example of why I consider UOAs to be a supreme waste of money.

The oil probably checked out OK because the oil was, in fact, OK.

But if you prefer your opinion to facts (and who doesn't?) then facts obviously have no value.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Most oil manufacturers list the shelf life of new oil in UNOPENED containers as 5 years.

Seems to be worse than that. This keeps coming up, so here it is again.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/172/lubricant-storage-life

Its titled "Lubricant Storage Life Limits - Industry Needs a Standard " but if you read it you might reasonably conclude that "industry doesn't need a standard", since they don't appear to have one, nor any basis for one.

Like most "pitches", what it doesn't say is as significant as what it does. There is absolutely no evidence reported here for on-shelf deterioration of motor oils. Instead, its served up as a ready-cooked "given" with a side order of "The sky is falling" Chicken-Little panic salad.

They survey industry recommendations. Table 4 (recommended shelf life for indoor storage at 20C) is especially instructive

Major oil company C: 10-30W Motor Oil (mineral) 1 YEAR
Major oil company C: 10-30W Motor Oil (PAO) 1 YEAR:
Major oil company D: 10-30W Motor Oil (mineral) 1 YEAR
Major oil company D: 10-30W Motor Oil (PAO) 1 YEAR:

Independant oil company B: 10-30W Motor Oil (mineral) Virtually unlimited *
Independant oil company B: 10-30W Motor Oil (PAO) : Virtually unlimited
Independant oil company C: 10-30W Motor Oil (mineral) : Infinite
Independant oil company C: 10-30W Motor Oil (PAO) : Infinite

1 year (!) isn’t very long, and 1 year to infinity is a pretty wide range. I think you could say there's a certain lack of concensus.

IF the 1 year has a basis in fact, it could mean that the major oil companies massive (but of course secret) testing of their latest oils, extending over several decades, has told them that their oil is particularly fragile.

OR it could be that their general knowledge of the chemistry of their product makes them think it might be particularly fragile, though its odd that the PAO, plausibly believed to be more stable in an engine, is just as fragile on the shelf.

OR it could be that they wanted to cover their big fat corporate arse, and pulled the smallest number out of it that they thought they could get away with, assuming no one would notice that it was completely unbelievable.

(One might also conclude that either the re-stocking (or re-labelling) costs associated with this short life are carried by the retailer, or the supplier thinks closout specials are good for bizniz.)

Perhaps I'm too cynical, but I've found its actually quite difficult to be TOO cynical, and often quite an effort to be cynical enough.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bud
I would not only change the oil and filter, but also all the other fluids and filters on the vehicle.

^^This

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
7 years and you guys say leave it?? Ok.....

Yes, you can tell it's not their car we're talking about.

Working on my 3rd year on oil in the jeep, no intent to change the oil until miles have racked up enough to change...

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
You can always pull a sample and test it. You could even pull the filter and use that as your oil sample source if you dont have a pump. I'm willing to bet the oil is just fine. It'd be neat to verify either way via a UOA.

Cool truck, nice catch
smile.gif

I'm right there. No cold separation, no high condensation issues, I'll bet that oil is quite good
laugh.gif

I left the syn-blend in my BBC Chevy truck for 5 years because it just ran a few thousand a year. After 5 years it had 7,500 miles on it and looked it. Out it came. If this oil has less than 3K, it should stay. Garage queens are special cases as far as deterioration of anything
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back