7 injured after F-35 jet crashes on aircraft carrier in South China Sea

The Sailor who allegedly leaked the video of the Royal Navy F35B accident has been arrested.

Been watching a documentary about a R.N. Type 23 Frigate. The one that collided with the Russian Sub. One of the Sailors failed a random drugs test. They did not even wait until they hit port to remove him. He was Helicoptered off and will be dismissed.

The Sailor who allegedly leaked the video of the Royal Navy F35B accident has been arrested.

Been watching a documentary about a R.N. Type 23 Frigate. The one that collided with the Russian Sub. One of the Sailors failed a random drugs test. They did not even wait until they hit port to remove him. He was Helicoptered off and will be dismissed.

There you go. A very stupid act by that sailor.

I'd love to know how deep the water is where it went down. Of course I'm sure we'll never know unless there is a large area there with consistent depth. Looks like it may have floated for a bit, too.

It would be neat to design a device that a helicopter could shoot over a downed floating jet that could hold onto it and keep it afloat enough to get a CH-53 or a ship's crain to salvage it before it sinks. Something like a web or netting that can wrap over it then contract then activate floatation devices. It's got to be a pain to try and get a salvage operation out there while keeping the Chinese or Russians guessing or at bay.

The Brits seemed to get their Raptor out of Davy Jones' locker pretty quickly.

The plane will likely float under the surface aswell, so it could be miles from where it sunk.

Helicopters have limited air time, and with such a weight pulling down it's even less. Don't think a Chinook is up to it, especially when the plane is filled with water. Payload is limited to 11 tonnes or so.

The Brits lost a Typhoon II aswell, they don't have F-22.

I have been told by people that served on a carrier deck that it is probably one of the most the most dangerous place any one could be in their lives..
Totally agree. Pilots that can land a fighter jet on a moving surface at night have my greatest respect. Ground crew that work on a moving, rolling surface that has, what appears to be, chaos all around them have my greatest respect. As an F-16 Crew Chief my working surface was always stable and my working surrounding were well organized. I could never understand how these folks did their jobs so well.

The plane will likely float under the surface aswell, so it could be miles from where it sunk.

Helicopters have limited air time, and with such a weight pulling down it's even less. Don't think a Chinook is up to it, especially when the plane is filled with water. Payload is limited to 11 tonnes or so.

The Brits lost a Typhoon II aswell, they don't have F-22.
Oops, I meant F-35. Thanks for the correction! I'd fix it in my post but Bitog limits edit time.

@Astro14 will get a chuckle from this Daily Mail article about this crash. Note the picture graphic diagramming how the crash occurred.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

@Astro14 will get a chuckle from this Daily Mail article about this crash. Note the picture graphic diagramming how the crash occurred.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Yeah, that‘s not quite right…

Rumor is now a “ramp strike”. Airplane got so low, it hit the ramp.

On a Nimitz-class, steady deck, normal day, 3.5 degree glideslope, there was 14.1 feet of clearance between aircraft hook and the ramp if the airplane was perfectly on glideslope.

You don’t have to be very low for a ramp strike, but it is often disastrous.

The leaked video is now on Ward Carroll’s YouTube site.

Ramp strike.

An ugly, airplane destroying ramp strike.

Hard to know what happened but a ramp strike on a steady deck during good weather is hard to understand except in the case of gross pilot error.

Since the jet is fly by wire, and was likely using PLM, there exists a small but real possibility of flight control malfunction.

But mostly, looks like pilot error.

The leaked video is now on Ward Carroll’s YouTube site.

Ramp strike.

An ugly, airplane destroying ramp strike.

Hard to know what happened but a ramp strike on a steady deck during good weather is hard to understand except in the case of gross pilot error.

Since the jet is fly by wire, and was likely using PLM, there exists a small but real possibility of flight control malfunction.

But mostly, looks like pilot error.

The crash crews were right on top of it even though the jet went off the front. Good response.

I can't imagine the paperwork, conferences, and meetings by the time this whole thing is over with.... Not to mention the cost.

You can't Google, "Seabed F-35 Salvage Companies".

Idiot has no professionalism to not release sensitive video to the world, they need 10 years in prison.

Doesn’t a submarine follow a carrier when at sea? I feel like the sub is just hanging out at the bottom by the wreckage keeping an eye out for the Russians and Chinese.

Back