7.3 Godzilla Oil Report - Freaking Out.

Over what? It's still a young engine.

I love how Blackstone likes to pretend like they can actually give an accurate fuel dilution estimate. :ROFLMAO:

1684107600519.png

1684107540862.png

Imminent cam failure... read the comments one guy wants him to go ahead and change the lifters over 29 PPM... :ROFLMAO:
Ehh the guy in the comments just trying to get ahead of it.

The 7.3's have been having some cam/lifter failures, so it is certainly something to keep an eye on and see how it trends going forward.

The 7.3's have been having some cam/lifter failures, so it is certainly something to keep an eye on and see how it trends going forward.

I don't disagree with keeping an eye on it. Cutting the filters apart (or inspecting the element) needs to be a component of that IMO coupled with trending at similar intervals (filling out the "miles on oil" would be a real good place to start).

They are eating the cams while in warranty from what little I have seen about it. Who cares?
A good reason to care is because they probably are installing the same defective parts after warranty repairs and then when you get out of warranty it's on you when it fails again. And then you have the people who actually do make it out of warranty and then the failure happens.

5 years/60k is all you got for a warranty on these.

What is it with Ford & metallurgy? First the 6.7 PSD rockers, and now junk cams & lifters? Did they not lose enough money on the 6.0/6.4 PSD to learn their lesson & stop building overpriced junk??

12k fifth wheel is hard use I.M.O.
Appears that almost any use=“hard use” on a Ford-unless the guy is climbing mountain passes every day, or doing passes at the drag strip pulling 12K, it should be able to take it. The transmission should be more likely to have issues than cam & lifters!

Imminent cam failure... read the comments one guy wants him to go ahead and change the lifters over 29 PPM... :ROFLMAO:
He's not that bright. I commented on his video and told him to use Red Line Oil 5W-30 to protect his lifters. Considering that he's just inches away from being superstitious about lubricants, oil analysis, and how these engines fail, my advice is as good as any.

Also, if there is a lifter/cam failure within the warranty period, Ford will usually replace the entire long block.

'Roller delamination' is a substitute term for 'Made in China, bottom dollar needle bearings'. Be that as it may, 'delamination' wouldn't show up in a cheap UOA.

Appears that almost any use=“hard use” on a Ford-unless the guy is climbing mountain passes every day, or doing passes at the drag strip pulling 12K, it should be able to take it. The transmission should be more likely to have issues than cam & lifters!

There's nothing wrong with his truck.

Hemis are wiping cams, Chevys have wiped cams so far back it is a feature and now Comp is having trouble with their Hydraulic Rollers so i would get to eager to Ford bash...

What is it with Ford & metallurgy? First the 6.7 PSD rockers, and now junk cams & lifters? Did they not lose enough money on the 6.0/6.4 PSD to learn their lesson & stop building overpriced junk??
I don't think any of the cast parts are made in the country anymore. At least not from what my brother has told me that works at the engine plant. He has mentioned quality control being a big issue with these parts.

The only possible solution is some of them intelligent molecules that you get with Castrol! That will protect that cam from them rollers!!:LOL:

Back