6k miles with Mobil 1 AFE in our Subaru outback 2.5

Supertech or QSFS if you’re sticking with a 5-6 ths mile change. Subie engines are easy on oil

I did wonder if the direct Injection on these newer engines might cause a bit of dilution.....possibly why they've stuck with 6 month 6k changes
Your car has normal port fuel injection, so does mine which was a plus IMHO, 2020 is when they went to DI in the Outback. I'll run 0W20 or 0W30 in the winter and XW30 in the summer now that its out of warranty.

Your car has normal port fuel injection, so does mine which was a plus IMHO, 2020 is when they went to DI in the Outback. I'll run 0W20 or 0W30 in the winter and XW30 in the summer now that its out of warranty.

Point of clarification: I thought 2019 was the year Subaru went to DI in the 2.5L?

If, in fact, it is port injection only, then great!

Then the 6k mile OCI warranty requirement is based on preventing timing chain wear?

Point of clarification: I thought 2019 was the year Subaru went to DI in the 2.5L?

Then the 6k mile OCI warranty requirement is based on preventing timing chain wear?
Pretty sure 2019 was port FI too, but they added the eyesight system as standard equipment, but still has normal button HVAC controls. I'm not a fan of the big centre screens for ease of use, or potential replacement as they age....
As for the 6k intervals, my car runs the oil pretty hot at 95-101C just driving down the highway, and they did have oil consumption problems in the past. The oil my dealership used does leave some discoloration and varnish, visible in the fill tube, so 6k was far enough on that stuff at least...
I assume with just 2 separate simple timing chain loops, one for each bank, the timing chains should be pretty robust?

A 2019 Forester is direct injected.

If the wear metals are normal I would not give a second thought to any fuel dilution.

A 2019 Forester is direct injected.

If the wear metals are normal I would not give a second thought to any fuel dilution.

Well, if the 2.5L in the 2019Forester is DI, then the 2.5L in the 2019 Outback is DI!!

Too bad……….

Well, if the 2.5L in the 2019Forester is DI, then the 2.5L in the 2019 Outback is DI!!

Too bad……….

Not necessarily

1676399983058.jpg

It appears that maybe they switched Japan built vehicles in 2019 but USA built didn't switch until 2020.

Forester was "all new" with a new chassis, DI motor, etc, in 2019, and then it was the Outback and Legacy's turn in 2020.

Hmmmm……….

I emailed Subaru of America asking them to clarify which model year had DI versus PI. And I provided the VIN for our Outback. Their reply was:

“Thank you for contacting Subaru of America. We appreciate you taking the time to connect with us.

The 2.5L engine on a 2019 Outback is a direct injection duel delivery.

We thank you again for reaching out to us!

Sincerely,

Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer Advocacy Department”

Note they said “duel delivery” though I believe they meant fuel delivery.

Hmmmm……….

I emailed Subaru of America asking them to clarify which model year had DI versus PI. And I provided the VIN for our Outback. Their reply was:

“Thank you for contacting Subaru of America. We appreciate you taking the time to connect with us.

Sincerely,

Subaru of America, Inc.

These still have the 2019 with 175hp and the 2020 with DI and 182hp but maybe for Canada they kept the older motor for another year? Our packages are different and my car doesn't have a TPMS, but has heated seats and mirrors in the base model. Does yours have an oil cooler under the oil filter? Mine doesn't, but I see lots of underhood pictures of 2018 2.5's with what looks like an oil cooler?

Thanks guys. Yes, we're away at the moment and I'm not able to black out our contact Info properly. This was the best I could come up with

I am a bit concerned and dissapointed that the fuel issue may cut this short.

It seems a waste of oil at a TBN of four still remaining.

There's always the option in Canada of the Mobil Full Synthetic. It's really inexpensive.

I don't have any issue moving on from M1 either if there was a better cost to change ratio. Lol.
TBN is just one thing to consider...it isn't the "end-all" to the whole picture.

Hmmmm……….

Sincerely,

Subaru of America, Inc.

The USDM 2019 Outback has the port fuel injected FB25 4 cylinder, or the EZ36 port fuel injected 6 cylinder. USDM forester 2019 is DI. Advocacy department of what

The USDM 2019 Outback has the port fuel injected FB25 4 cylinder, or the EZ36 port fuel injected 6 cylinder. USDM forester 2019 is DI. Advocacy department of what

????

Where did you obtain your information re: PI versus DI?

????

Where did you obtain your information re: PI versus DI?
I work on these cars. Here is a picture of the emissions sticker and fuel injector of a 2019 Outback with the 4 cylinder FB25. Note SFI and the port fuel injector

Attachments

• 20230218_134732.jpg
    20230218_134732.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230218_134808.jpg
    20230218_134808.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 32
Back