62 Fuelie

My BIL spent years finding period correct parts for this car. Mechanical Fuel Injection 327. He got it as a basket... Small fortune in this bad boy...
62 Fuelie Show 1.jpeg

62 Fuelie Show 2.jpeg

My uncle had a '63 split window 327 with the Rochester fuel injection. Someone told me there were something like 600 made in '63, but I have no idea if that's correct.

In '64 he cut it half on a tree going around a curve. The only thing connecting the front of the car to the back of the car was the emergency brake cable. The seat belts went with the rear of the car. He wasn't wearing his and lived, his seat stayed with the front of the car.

He took the fuel injection off and put it in his attic where is sat until about 10 years ago. He sold it to a guy who was rebuilding a corvette. Maybe it was your BIL?

My uncle is 78 now and wishes he still had the car.

My uncle had a '63 split window 327 with the Rochester fuel injection. Someone told me there were something like 600 made in '63, but I have no idea if that's correct.

In '64 he cut it half on a tree going around a curve. The only thing connecting the front of the car to the back of the car was the emergency brake cable. The seat belts went with the rear of the car. He wasn't wearing his and lived, his seat stayed with the front of the car.

He took the fuel injection off and put it in his attic where is sat until about 10 years ago. He sold it to a guy who was rebuilding a corvette. Maybe it was your BIL?

Last edited:
There were 2,600 made with fuel injection, but how many of those were split window? Maybe all of those?

Perhaps because I am a ‘63 model myself, I have always wanted a ‘63 split window fuelie.

A friend/client of my father had one in the 70s. A beautiful model, silver, black interior, in perfect condition. I got a chance to look at it closely, sit in it for a while, when Dad visited his friend for business reasons. Dad had me tag along, to let me see the car.

Still remember that car, over 40 years later.

So does everyone else, evidently, as the asking price for one is a bit more than I paid for my first house.

Back on topic, that ‘62 is stunning. A beautiful job restoring it. Thank you @JeffKeryk for sharing that!

There were 2,600 made with fuel injection, but how many of those were split window? Maybe all of those?
I'm sure you know all the 63's had the split window, except the roadsters, of course. If you have ever driven one, you would notice the poor rear view mirror vision. The regulators helped make this a 1 year only style.

Lot's of fuelie units of both generations were removed by dealers who did not know how to work on them. Some ended up staying with the dealers, others were returned to the owners. I am glad your BIL found a unit suitable for his purpose, as they are now getting really hard to find.

Lot's of fuelie units of both generations were removed by dealers who did not know how to work on them. Some ended up staying with the dealers, others were returned to the owners. I am glad your BIL found a unit suitable for his purpose, as they are now getting really hard to find.
Mark has 2 FI units. The mechanical fi units were all troublesome. As oyu say, many were replaced with carbs. There is a guy near here, east of Sacremento, who rebuilds them and has a fix. Thing is, he will only accept them hand delivered and you have to pick them up in person. No delivery either way! He works on them and then installs on his own car, a 65 I think, and drives them for a week or so.

I think Mark should write a book. This information is gonna be lost; it nearly is today.

Mark has 2 FI units. The mechanical fi units were all troublesome. As oyu say, many were replaced with carbs. There is a guy near here, east of Sacremento, who rebuilds them and has a fix. Thing is, he will only accept them hand delivered and you have to pick them up in person. No delivery either way! He works on them and then installs on his own car, a 65 I think, and drives them for a week or so.

I think Mark should write a book. This information is gonna be lost; it nearly is today.
Jeff, you are sooo correct. Many of these "Craftsmen" are getting up there or worst yet, have already passed on. For "black art" stuff as this it will unfortunately be lost to time someday.

My uncle had a '63 split window 327 with the Rochester fuel injection. ...
In '64 he cut it half on a tree going around a curve. ...
Just doing the math ... That was a ~19-year-old driver at the helm of a ~1-year-old fast car.

Back