6.7 PSD HPL 5w40 9800 miles

You won't get anything representative of these companies from me. I'm just sharing some of what I picked up along the way here. Where you draw the line on fuel amounts in oil is your call. They are saying it's good & the testing is backing that up so if you're not going to take any of that evidence what will?

HPL is a niche oil mixer & they have done well working with board members here. I'm sure they have technical data to back up their claim. You may have to buy & run some oil their oil for them to work with your specific engine along with testing. HPL has high starting viscosity on some of their oils & that could be just one of the reasons it's holding a good viscosity with the fuel.

Bypass filters that are lower micron rated will filter out more wear particles than a standard oil filter. Your saying b/c they filter out more wear particles that the UOA isn't accurate? A UOA with or without a bypass filter will show PPM wear on a UOA accurately b/c it's testing the Oil. They both are using a sample of the oil & measuring wear particles.

However, I think I have an idea of what you're trying to say. A non bypass set up would measure 5ppm & a bypass would measure 2.5ppm. In a sense "hiding wear on the engine". This may be true if your looking at engine wear. What we are looking at in this situation is the OIL condition. The oil condition is what is being examined in this situation. No one here is asking what the state of this 6.7L power stroke engine is in per se. They are asking what does the OIL's condition look like & could it remain in the sump for a bit longer. The UOA is showing us that the oil has fairly low contaminates & is stable even considering the fuel.

If there was no bypass on this truck it could've potentially had double the wear & consequently needed to be dumped but that is not the case. They have a bypass that is keeping this oil cleaner & is capable of running longer in the engine.

This brand is also well respected in the forum and worldwide, they claim 3.4% and the user uses their 2 micron bypass filter with absolute efficiency.

In general there are many brands like Castrol, Total etc that talk about fuel.

Here they try to justify the high % of fuel as the wear is low, as I said it seems correct to me but without additional by pass filtration system.

I am not opposed to filtration, I am not opposed to the fact that the less wear the better, I just do not agree with the % of dilution and it must be recognized that in this engine there is 1 quart of fuel. Such an amount of fuel makes me panic and I was very shocked by the non-conviction of not changing the oil, which has already worked about 400 hours.

If this oil being inside the engine since 2021 was responsible for keeping the wear down for me this is a won battle, but if we have an Amsoil by pass filtration system with 2 microns of efficiency it makes me doubt if the wear is really representative at all.

Maybe in Bitog you are not seeing daily analysis with dilution and you are very optimistic, instead in other parts of the world we have a huge respect and fear at the same time of fuel dilution.

I love bypass filtration and have installed it in many of my cars and I certainly think they make sense but against dilution they cannot cope and this factor is determined to set the oil change.

This brand is also well respected in the forum and worldwide, they claim 3.4% and the user uses their 2 micron bypass filter with absolute efficiency.
Did you see their statement right next to the percentages? It states: "Fuel dilution that surpasses these guidelines requires attention."
Which this is precisely what is being done here. The oil is being attended to via UOA & oil mixer's input guidelines.
Here they try to justify the high % of fuel as the wear is low, as I said it seems correct to me but without additional by pass filtration system.
I am not opposed to filtration, I am not opposed to the fact that the less wear the better, I just do not agree with the % of dilution and it must be recognized that in this engine there is 1 quart of fuel. Such an amount of fuel makes me panic and I was very shocked by the non-conviction of not changing the oil, which has already worked about 400 hours.
I don't think anyone is trying to justify the higher fuel but rather there is an effort to justify using the oil with higher fuel amounts based on evidence. You say "It must be recognized that in this engine there is 1 quart of fuel". Who hasn't acknowledged that? That is a well known fact that the OP & Oil Provider are clearly aware of.

I understand this is scaring you & that you don't feel comfortable with this fuel level. This does happen here on BITOG & around the world. We all have some skepticism & that is healthy up to a certain point. That's where testing & input from the oil provider comes in & gives their input to make a decision on the basis of evidence. Trying to leave the emotional & pre concieved notions that oil should be tossed out at a certain point. It is not always an easy answer & that lies in each consumer's choices on how they "Feel" too. I've already stated to the OP that if they feel comfortable changing it out now there is no harm done but they don't need my permission. However, that doesn't mean the oil is done in use just that we "Feel" better changing it. The OP as done well to run this oil up this far & we'll respect any decision they make. Fuel in oil can change the dynamics b/c fuel CAN be harmful but if there is no harm being shown YET then why change it. The fuel probably is starting to degrade the oil BUT not to the point that it's ready to be dumped or causing an issue yet.

If this oil being inside the engine since 2021 was responsible for keeping the wear down for me this is a won battle, but if we have an Amsoil by pass filtration system with 2 microns of efficiency it makes me doubt if the wear is really representative at all.

Maybe in Bitog you are not seeing daily analysis with dilution and you are very optimistic, instead in other parts of the world we have a huge respect and fear at the same time of fuel dilution.
BITOG see's a lot of fuel dilision UOA. It may not be daily but this is far from something new. We should all have a respect & fear of Fuel Dilution but that doesn't mean we go by emotions rather we need further testing to see what shape the oil condition is in. There is absolutely a point that fuel will damage the oil & consequently cause damage so that respect is warranted after testing.
I love bypass filtration and have installed it in many of my cars and I certainly think they make sense but against dilution they cannot cope and this factor is determined to set the oil change.
Bypass's systems are a wonderful tool to extend your oil's for sure. They don't filter out fuel. Every oil change interval plan should take fuel into account & no one is saying anything different here.

Did you see their statement right next to the percentages? It states: "Fuel dilution that surpasses these guidelines requires attention."
Which this is precisely what is being done here. The oil is being attended to via UOA & oil mixer's input guidelines.

I don't think anyone is trying to justify the higher fuel but rather there is an effort to justify using the oil with higher fuel amounts based on evidence. You say "It must be recognized that in this engine there is 1 quart of fuel". Who hasn't acknowledged that? That is a well known fact that the OP & Oil Provider are clearly aware of.

I understand this is scaring you & that you don't feel comfortable with this fuel level. This does happen here on BITOG & around the world. We all have some skepticism & that is healthy up to a certain point. That's where testing & input from the oil provider comes in & gives their input to make a decision on the basis of evidence. Trying to leave the emotional & pre concieved notions that oil should be tossed out at a certain point. It is not always an easy answer & that lies in each consumer's choices on how they "Feel" too. I've already stated to the OP that if they feel comfortable changing it out now there is no harm done but they don't need my permission. However, that doesn't mean the oil is done in use just that we "Feel" better changing it. The OP as done well to run this oil up this far & we'll respect any decision they make. Fuel in oil can change the dynamics b/c fuel CAN be harmful but if there is no harm being shown YET then why change it. The fuel probably is starting to degrade the oil BUT not to the point that it's ready to be dumped or causing an issue yet.

BITOG see's a lot of fuel dilision UOA. It may not be daily but this is far from something new. We should all have a respect & fear of Fuel Dilution but that doesn't mean we go by emotions rather we need further testing to see what shape the oil condition is in. There is absolutely a point that fuel will damage the oil & consequently cause damage so that respect is warranted after testing.

Bypass's systems are a wonderful tool to extend your oil's for sure. They don't filter out fuel. Every oil change interval plan should take fuel into account & no one is saying anything different here.
I think we do not understand each other, here there is a problem that we have a by pass filtration with 2 micron efficiency of 98-99% that does not allow us to see the real damage, everything else is unnecessary, all the justifications of low wear are not valid because the result of the UOA is not real.

if you have 1 quart of fuel inside UOA you can't see how the seals and gaskets are affected.

I have been reading Bitog for a long time and if I can say that we rarely see analysis in Diesel with dilution, at most I have seen a few but in general very little,proof of them is to review the section of diesel UOA during the last year and the most I think I have seen a 4-5%. If we see daily analysis of HPL tolerating 10% fuel believe me I am the first to try to import their oils to Europe because it is what we have been looking for, every second or third car in Europe has high % of dilution and I am not exaggerating, here in section of diesel analysis you have my analysis with 3k miles 4-5% dilution doing 60-70km daily and not 1-5km runs.
As in Bitog there is no such analysis with HPL tolerating 10% fuel in many units other than this without by pass filtration I am inclined to think that what we are seeing is not usual and until I see otherwise I distrust the merit of HPL.

compared to other places that dilution is the first condemning factor I can state that with these % fuel this analysis would not have been given for good and here I see a huge justification by many members and most strange to see claim of reaching 10% or more dilution.

Well here is an opinion of mine opposite to the others with a clear and forceful condemnation that the oil must be changed because the % of fuel is very high, the by pass filtration of 2 microns and high efficiency of 98-99% does not allow to see the real damage.

If I were the OP and I publish an analysis where they tell me this all phenomenal I will be fine, but really the negative reviews with credibility will make me reflect if I am doing the right thing, I will automatically seek to contrast the information and if I am the first without seeing other similar cases well clear and documented, if I do not find them I will change my oil because it has already lasted me 400 hours since 2021 and I will be attentive to the other trends of analysis and when I have enough evidence that HPL tolerates 10% dilution or more perhaps I will leave my oil for longer.

I ultimately decided to change the lube and filters. I will resample at 5 and 10K internals and see what fuel looks like at 10,000. If it is reasonable I will extend. Thank you all for your input.

Attachments

• 5BA67449-FB24-4674-B1B6-995638E4739D.jpeg
    5BA67449-FB24-4674-B1B6-995638E4739D.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 24
Back