6.7 Powerstroke Cold Start F550 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was leaving from a camping trip early in the morning and temps were above 30 degrees farenheit, started truck and as I started to slowly drive away the center console flashed a wrench, oil pressure, and temperature icon in that order for about a minute or so then went back to normal. Can starting a truck in cold weather cause a limp mode until warm up? Never had this happen...truck is 2014 Ford F550 6.7 Powerstroke. Just caught me off guard...not familiar with cold weather starts. Happy New Year all.

That's not normal!; I'm not familiar enough with the 6.7L to know all the common problems besides out of warranty CP4/contamination failures. You might want to check out a dedicated forum or maybe one of our 6.7L owners can chime in?

Thanks Clinebarger...it went away after few minutes and I drove 180 miles home. Thought it was cold and engine protected itself until got warmer? Just trying to get confirmation that it was normal. Not in very cold weather too often...hoping it was normal.

If it is a normal thing....That's news to me with any diesel pick-up. Lets keep in mind that 30°F isn't that cold.

My Duramax has a really neat feature that when "enabled".......At temps below about 35°F, I start the truck & it will idle for & 1 minute, Then the RPM's kicks-up to @ 1200.....The trans locks into gear & the converter clutch loads the engine, This warms up the engine & trans automatically while I stay warm in the house!; When the truck returns to idle......I know the engine has reached @165°F; Touching the brake pedal at anytime will cancel the feature if still active.

Your truck may have a similar feature? And you would think a F550 would at least have a High Idle/PTO setting?

Originally Posted by clinebarger

My Duramax has a really neat feature that when "enabled".......At temps below about 35°F, I start the truck & it will idle for & 1 minute, Then the RPM's kicks-up to @ 1200.....The trans locks into gear & the converter clutch loads the engine, This warms up the engine & trans automatically while I stay warm in the house!; When the truck returns to idle......I know the engine has reached @165°F; Touching the brake pedal at anytime will cancel the feature if still active.

That is a REALLY neat feature!

If it is a normal thing....That's news to me with any diesel pick-up. Lets keep in mind that 30°F isn't that cold.

Your truck may have a similar feature? And you would think a F550 would at least have a High Idle/PTO setting?

Does it use the clutch in the converter to load the engine or just load the engine against the stall of the converter? I would think slipping the pickup clutch would be hard on the thin friction lining of the clutch in the converter.

My 3500 will use the exhaust brake to warm up on a cold start. The diesel supplement says that the engine derates at certain temperatures and cycle the grid heater as well until a certain temp threshold is met. But in saying this, there is no warning light to indicate this.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3

Does it use the clutch in the converter to load the engine or just load the engine against the stall of the converter? I would think slipping the pickup clutch would be hard on the thin friction lining of the clutch in the converter.

I've Data-Logged it while the "elevated idle" was active, The TCC apply state does "PWM" in & out while also stalling against the Held Turbine. The Woven Carbon Friction Lining used in Allison 1000's is very stout & is designed for constant slip.

I do see your cause for concern though, Keep in mind that the enable/disable criteria is pretty strict; The IAT, Trans, & Engine temps have to be really close to the 35°F max threshold. If the trans fluid were to reach a temp that indicated the TCC was overheating before the ECT reached it's minimum threshold.....The feature would cancel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3

I've Data-Logged it while the "elevated idle" was active, The TCC apply state does "PWM" in & out while also stalling against the Held Turbine. The Woven Carbon Friction Lining used in Allison 1000's is very stout & is designed for constant slip.

I do see your cause for concern though, Keep in mind that the enable/disable criteria is pretty strict; The IAT, Trans, & Engine temps have to be really close to the 35°F max threshold. If the trans fluid were to reach a temp that indicated the TCC was overheating before the ECT reached it's minimum threshold.....The feature would cancel.

Great information in a detailed post, like always. Thank you, I learned something from you today. Cheers!

OP, check to see if the pcm stored any history codes. Were there any actual messages on the cluster associated with the warning lights? Check over the basics such as battery connections and condition of the batteries. Then check charging system. Does the truck have dual alternators? These are good engines/trucks they are what I work on every day. If there are any codes post them. If you don't have a scanner you'll have to bring it to a ford dealer or shop that can talk to it.

There is no high idle switch or pto unless it was built with that feature the pto is direct drive off of a gear mounted on the back of the transmission pump. If it had pto the pcm would automatically kick idle up when using it.

Just curious what mileage is on it?

Last edited:
Did you let the truck warm up at all before driving off? 30* isn't that cold but it is chilly for a cold natured diesel. However It isn't normal for the lights in the dash to come on like that.

My 05 F350 will go into a high idle almost immediately after starting if its below 30*. I let the ECT/EOT hit at least 95* before driving it.

Thanks to all again. It went into some kind of limp mode as the digital display changed…attached a picture of my digital gauge for example (not my actual just a picture from Internet). My truck just turned over 26,000 miles. It chimed and showed a wrench, then an oil can image, then lastly a thermometer image. No visible codes showed on cluster...will plug my code reader in when I get home and will report back if any codes exist. I turned truck on and pulled out of campsite and noticed this on info cluster…then parked and got out to hook up my tow car (maybe 3-5 minutes) then returned and all was normal. Thought truck was just cold? I reread my 2014 Diesel Supplement and found this below.

Engine protection mode

Ford diesel engines are equipped with
engine protection and emission control
systems. These systems monitor critical
temperatures and pressures, and modify
engine operation accordingly. These
modified engine performance
characteristics are normal.
If these modified engine performance
characteristics persist for an extended
period and either the service engine soon
or powertrain malfunction,reduced power,
electronic throttle control light is
illuminated, have the system checked by
an authorized dealer.

Service engine soon

Powertrain malfunction, reduced
power, electronic throttle control

Never seen this before...it was a cold night as ice was on grass and motor home slide when I left...but not super cold. Appreciate your help as always on here.

Display.jpg

I only have one alternator. Have Mobil Delvac 5w-40 CJ-4 in the sump now. Drove the 180+ miles home with nothing a miss...just curious as to what happened.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mbacfp
I only have one alternator. Have Mobil Delvac 5w-40 CJ-4 in the sump now. Drove the 180+ miles home with nothing a miss...just curious as to what happened.

Could have been one of a few things. Start by pulling codes. If your reader cant read history codes you may not be able to get the info that may or may not be there. The 6.7 doesn't care about the cold the injection system and glow plug system this engine uses is extremely efficient. It's not like the old heui engines.

Originally Posted by mattd
Originally Posted by mbacfp

Could have been one of a few things. Start by pulling codes. If your reader cant read history codes you may not be able to get the info that may or may not be there. The 6.7 doesn't care about the cold the injection system and glow plug system this engine uses is extremely efficient. It's not like the old heui engines.

I checked my scan guage II and 4 codes were stored. I could not find them online so I called my local Ford dealership and they graciously had a diesel tech look them up. Turns out 3 of them dont exist and one was lost contact with PCM. These could have already been their and not related to cold start issue. Here are the codes I got.

These 3 dont exist according to Diesel tech

C380F
P02FF
B0B43

This one is PCM OR BCM lost contact

U0140

Tech doesn't know maybe Scan Guage II error?

I am going to get diesel fuel tomorrow morning before work (5:30 a.m.) so another potential cold morning start...like 47 degrees here. I am very perplexed at this point. Appreciate the help all.

Last edited:
I'll see what I can find out when I get to work today I'll try to do some research. To have 1 code from each from chassis, body, powertrain and communication is strange.

Last edited:
Thanks Mattd. Not sure what to make of it? Going to clear them now and start truck. See if anything weird happens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back