PFM to start truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
My truck had the fuel line replaced in September, since then I've had to crank it over forever to start, but I've learned to turn the key to run (without engaging the starter) and just sit there or brush the snow off the truck. Then, after several minutes, I hear a faint clicking noise (not like the starter solenoid) that as it gets louder the clicks become less frequent. The "maintenance required" light will come on and flash in synch with the clicking; then the "check engine" light slowly lights while flashing in synch with the clicking. When the clicking stops, the engine will promptly fire when turned over. This morning at 5 degrees Farenheit this whole sequence took about 8 minutes.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Last edited:
I guess so, but cold weather will raise the dickens with electrical connections too because of increased draw. . If MT's advice doesnt work, go over the major connections cleaning and tightening.

Runs fine once I go about a mile in this cold, runs well right away with temps around 40 degrees. I'll find the location of this relay/switch and try a replacement.

Is this the dodge? They use a big relay called the auto shutdown relay to run a lot of the ignition stuff.

It should switch with, say, the horn relay. On the dakota it was in the underhood fusebox.

The maint' required light on my dakota was a crude reminder to scrape the junk out of the EGR valve, and came on at a mileage. Couldn't fix it w/o scan tool, so I taped over it.

Got the relay yesterday, turns out the fuel pump relay and auto shutdown relay come together on the same mount. Replaced them this morning, truck started right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back