5W50 in place of 10W60

Status
Not open for further replies.
When my car ask for 10W60 synthetic (bmw castrol) , is it ok to run 5W50 synthetic (for example Mobil 1 5W50) in it?

*provided that it's a bmw m3 S54 3.2L engine.

any input is greatly appreciated

If you race your M3 in summer then you should follow the recommendation and use xW60. If you don't race your M3 in winter and it is cold now then 5W50 will be a good choice.

I don't ever race it on a track, it will be driven by my wife. It's about 30 degree max here in Vancouver in the summer.

In the users manual does it have a section that stipulates oil selection and grade based on:
1. climate ie above 35 deg C
2. stop start
3. dusty conditions
4. towing
5. snow conditions

This will give you an indication if the oil grade is required under all possible conditions or if there is scope to vary.

I found that the 10W-60 Shell Helix racing oil specified for the Enzo thinned to a 40 grade after only 1,400 miles. As such I felt it safe to use a 30 grade (0W-30 RLI (Renewable Lubricants Inc.)) for driving just around town and some highway. I do not race the car on the track and the oil never even reaches 100 C.

aehaas

BMW says Castrol TWS 10w-60 is the only oil you should use for the S54, anywhere, any time, period, end of story, finito, no more questions. Otherwise the engine might fail. Seriously.

Actually IIRC there might be like 2 other oils they allow but they are both 10w-60 and fairly esoteric.

But if you feel like being the guinea pig, go ahead. PLEASE do UOAs before and after, and PLEASE post them here.

Stick with the BMW Castrol TWS 10W60.

I believe BMW has extended the warranty on these engines.

Stay with the factory recommendation.

10w60
shocked2.gif

I need to read up on that engine
20.gif

Castrol 5w-50 is s fine substitute for road driving. In fact, it's the oil of choice which is used in the PTG M3 racer.
Bmw.jpg

My shop uses Syntec 5w-50 by the drum. They have 30+ year BMW Master Mechanics on the staff and service a wide range of cars.

are you still under warranty? does BMW do the free maintainence under under the warranty period there? they do that because that their way around the Magnussen Moss act by making you have them service the vehicle.

I know that it's 10W60 Castrol TWS or nothing. But this is the absolutely answer if I'm posting on e46post.
But since i'm on bitog, I think I would like to hear more opinion before I jump into the pool.

I can't justify the cost of a UOA before and after just to prove the bimmer forum is wrong or the bmw engineer's right or wrong.

Regarding to the GT3 M3 racecar, i believe they could use whatever they have from the sponsor, also, they tear up the engine after every race to replace internals... which I don't have that kinda cash and time.

Originally Posted By: bwco
I can't justify the cost of a UOA before and after just to prove the bimmer forum is wrong or the bmw engineer's right or wrong.

Aren't there a bunch of blown BMW engines sitting around proving that the 10W-60 is the right oil to use?

Why fight the windmills?

Use the right oil in that high output engine.

If you want to mess around with the guys on the BMW forum, tell them you are using Walmart Super Tech dino with a 12,000 mile change interval.

I read on some report from England saying that it's due to the 8000+ rpm red line that should take the blame for the blown engines. Early production SMG M3 has blown engine as well due to the insane redline as well.
But the same engine on the MZ3 didn't have 1 single problem just because they have a lower redline/fuel cut.
Later on, BMW reprogrammed the M3 with a new software and lowered the redline and fixed the issues.

I rather not kid those bmw guys for now without solid proof to back myself up. I hate the feelings of having a swamp of bees all over my neck !

I don't know if you can get Schaeffers up there in Canada, but their racing 5W-50 is an awesome oil. Full synthetic with plenty of antiwear and friction-modifying additive. This oil would my first choice after the Castrol TWS.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
I don't know if you can get Schaeffers up there in Canada, but their racing 5W-50 is an awesome oil. Full synthetic with plenty of antiwear and friction-modifying additive. This oil would my first choice after the Castrol TWS.

You will be able to get it easily in the new year. I just spoke with an account executive at Shaeffers who gave me the low down on upcoming Canadian distribution. So it's in the works! Very good news.

Don't rev that engine over 4,000 rpm with cold oil or over 6,000 unloaded. I consider my BMW warmed up at oil temperatures over 60C. Some M cars come with an electronic Tach that raises the redline as the oil heats up.

I recommend sticking with the castrol 10W60, Vancouver winters are pretty mild - sounds like you might have to get it from BMW dealer:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456200&highlight=s54+10W60

Here is an example of a 10W60 a good UOA on a BMW with a modified and raced S52 engine:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=895108&fpart=1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back