5w30 - VS - 5w40?

DR1

If much truck with 147k miles on it calls for 5w30 from the factory is it ok if I use 5w40? Any problems ?

If it's gone 147K miles with 5w30, why change? The 5 is the same. The 40 is higher viscosity at operating temps, compared to 30. The engine was designed for 5w30. If the owner's manual gives 5w40 as an option, then do it, otherwise, use what the manual says.

Last edited:
Is it burning some oil and that's why you want to go with 5W-40?

Reactions: FZ1
I think he meant Mulch Truck would that change your recommendation?
You mean those that blow out mulch like,

EM-Cropped.jpg

Yes if that's a commercial diesel engine, but he made no mention of that.

Why not a 10W30 synthetic being your in Florida? Some of the cheap synthetic 10W30's have shown an impressive NOACK.

If much truck with 147k miles on it calls for 5w30 from the factory is it ok if I use 5w40? Any problems ?
Hey! You're really getting busy on that truck! What year, model and engine do you have? You bought this used right? How many miles on it when you purchased it?

Suppose you know the oil PSI at a given RPM while at operating temperature when it was new. Personally thinking higher viscosity would bring the PSI up now. Maybe 5w40 would do that but those are two unknowns.

Last edited:
I have a 2008 Nissan titan. The main reason in asking this question is I can buy 6 quarts of brand new Royal Purple 5w40 for only $10
Should be OK to go up one grade no problem IMO. Especially if the manual mentions it OK.

Back