5W30 M1 99 F-150.9450 mile sample

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil was in a 99 F-150 4.2 L V-6 with 107451 total miles and 9450 miles on the oil (M1 5W-30) this engine was abused by this long service interval.

Aluminum 10
Chromium 3
Iron 147
Copper 16
Lead 298
Tin 9
Moly 43
Nickel 3
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 4
Boron 30
Silicon 29
Sodium 13
Calcium 2942
Magnesium 23
Phosphorus 781
Zinc 1083
Barium 1

Sus Vis @210f 76.4
Flashpoint 420
Fuel < 0.5
No water or antifreeze
Insolubles .5

oil was in use from 8/03 to 4/04
Fram oil Filter.
These were hard miles pulling a trailer, 100 miles a day through Dallas traffic to a job site.

Something is wrong here. Your iron and lead are extremely high and the oil oxidized into a 40wt.
dunno.gif

Hmmm, it sounds like you need a much stouter oil and/or shorter change intervals. You don't have a TBN number, but it sure looks like the Mobil-1 5W-30 gave up the ghost.

John

Wow...look at that lead number...and from an engine that has aluminum main and rod bearings. Does that thing still run? What does it sound like when it's running?

I wonder what the TBN would look like??? This is one of the worst UOA's I've seen. I'm with some of the others...does this thing still run and if it does, does it sound like a diesel engine. All that wear, there has got to be some pretty loose tolerances by now.

TBN came in at 1.6
The engine runs fine. At 82775 and 45213 miles all of the readings were fine.
This is my brothers work truck, I will advise him to NEVER leave oil in that long and we will change and sample at 3000 miles to see how things are going.
1 report does not spell doom. Mutliple reports like this might...

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
Wow...look at that lead number...and from an engine that has aluminum main and rod bearings.

Do we know that to be the case for the 4.2 V6?

This engine throws out a completely different signature than the modular V8's, even when it is a good UOA.

Either way, this is one of the uglier UOA'sI've seen!

I hope you all are paying attention to the other fluids. Gotta be extremely rough on the tranny. Maybe we're just expecting too much from the little F-150?? Don't know the weight of the loads your pulling, but I bet it's extreme at times.

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
Something is wrong here. Your iron and lead are extremely high and the oil oxidized into a 40wt.
dunno.gif

No oil cooler and heavy towing 100miles in Dallas traffic.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
No wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back