5W30 HM oils compared

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this has been discussed before, but just wondering in a 5w30 comparison which would be the best HM oil to use. For example, I have a chevy 4.3L (prone to manifold/seal/oil cooler hose leaks) which sees high idle time and will be driven in Chicago based humid summer comming up. I'm debating on taking by stash of Maxlife back in exchange for the Pennzoil I bought today which is $2.50 cheaper per 5QT jug with coupon, but don't wanna shortchange the Vortec. The only huge difference I see is that the Maxlife has a better Flash point. I do have a K&N cone filter with a prewrap on the intake as well as a custom Wait4Me computer tune & run 93 Octane. Your thoughts?

Pennzoil Maxlife Blend Castrol Mobil Clean 5000

40*C cst 74.1 67 n/a 62.5

100*C cst 11.7 11.5 12.0 10.6

Visc Index 157 163 n/a 160

Pour Point -33* -42* n/a -39*

Flash Point >196* 221* n/a 200*

Noack Vol% 14.2 a n/a

If you're debating on taking Maxlife back, then I think it's time to start thinking about other things then oil! No offense to Pennzoil. I'd say the same thing if you already had the Pennz and were thinking about taking it back for Maxlife.

ie, it's not going to matter one bit.

5 jugs x $2.50 savings = $12.50 which would matter a little bit. Just wondering if the Maxlife is going to give me that much better protection in the summer heat I suppose.

Stupid to blend oils. Just stay with the Maxlife 5W30 which is a semi/syn. $14 for a 5 quart jug at Wally world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back