5w20 vs. 0w30 GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need your input here..

I've been using Redline 5w20 in my '02 Civic Si...but I've decided to try GC for my next change...what do you guys think? You guys think 0w30 GC will be too heavy for my application??

Just came back from my local AutoZone, and got myself 5 qts of GC, from the number printed on the bottom...I think I got the gold GC...not the elves green.....

[ July 17, 2005, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Leonardo629 ]

Congratulations on your lubrication bargain...remember this stuff, with tax, is selling for as high as $21/litre in Europe. I think it will be just fine for your engine...and you will save in relation to the Redline...it should work really well in SoCal although you may...may...see a decrease in fuel mileage because it is a thick 30wt (I have always run it in our Audi so I have no comparison, but my mileage went UP in my Taurus (to the tune of 2-4 mpg depending on driving conditions)...BUT whichever...you will get superior engine protection at a reasonable price.

I'm not sure you will get superior engine protection over the Redline although that's a big 'ol can of worms.

Like Boaz said, put it in and run it with a couple of UOAs from the Redline & GC.

Leo, how long have you run RL and what intervals were you going by? In a Honda, I prefer a light 30wt to 20wt oil.

buster, I have been running Redline 5w20 for more than 8000 miles, 4000 mile OCI, one track day, and I don't baby my engine.....

my experience has been superb with Redline, but my only source of Redline for under $7/qt is no longer there......that's why I took the GC route...or I will take the GC route the next oil change....

Leo,

I agree with buster about Honda and the thinner oil. If you want a 30 weight, go with the Mobil 1 10w-30.

For my Nissans which prefer thick 30 weight oils, GC is my current favorite with no loss in fuel economy.

I'm debating between the same issue as you Leonardo... except in my '05 Mazda3 2.3L instead of a Civic.

I'm currently running Royal Purple 5w20 which seems to be a pretty nice oil in my engine... but with how hard I tend to run my engine everyday, and with how many outstanding UOAs I see of GC, I'm highly considering making the golden (not green) switch.

Okay, I really couldn't wait for another 3819 mile until I change out the Redline stuff and put in GC......so did it just 10 minutes ago, yep..I've done deed....GC is offcially in my car as of today....

I stored my Redline that has 181 mile on it in a clean jug, in case my MPG really takes a toll....

Hah, hit by the BITOG bug!

That's okay, before this place I knew synthetic is better than dino, but now, I have run my car through 2 Auto-RX cycles (Passat 1.8T), FP60, Amsoil 5w-40, starting a stash of GC (bought 9 bottles of green a couple days ago, will buy more at next paycheck) and will use LC20 once my rinse cycle is complete. Wife thinks i'm going nuts I swear.
gr_stretch.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ilikemypassat:
Hah, hit by the BITOG bug!

That's okay, before this place I knew synthetic is better than dino, but now, I have run my car through 2 Auto-RX cycles (Passat 1.8T), FP60, Amsoil 5w-40, starting a stash of GC (bought 9 bottles of green a couple days ago, will buy more at next paycheck) and will use LC20 once my rinse cycle is complete. Wife thinks i'm going nuts I swear.
gr_stretch.gif

Tell her the Elfe Meister said you are just fine...what, she doesn't know who the Elfe Meister is?
shocked.gif
...this IS serious...I'll have to talk this one over with Jürgen...he ALWAYS gives the Elfe Meister a straight answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back