5w20 verus 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a 2000 Mercury Gran Marquis with 4.6 and now have a 2006 with same engine.The NEW 06 states 5w20.My OTHER vehicles state a 10w30.Been using Amsoil full syn.10w30 for ages.Should I stick with the 5w20 in the 06 OR can I continue with the 10w30 in the 06 as with my other vehicles.I prefer to buy by the case etc.As well as a little nervous about engine longivity with 5w20

Use the recommended 5w20 grade of oil with confidence. All credible evidence presented here for the last 3 years indicate it provides all the protection you need for your 2006 4.6 Mercury Gran Marquis. Further, Ford back spec'd this oil for numerous prior years. Have look at this chart from Ford:

http://www.ilma.org/resources/ford_motorcraft_oilquickreference.pdf

Amsoil markets one of the best 5w20 available, so you can continue with that brand if you prefer.

I agree with 427Z06 on this in one repect. To date no powertrain that calls for 5W20 from the OEM has had any issues with 5W20. So you should not worry yourself about. I would also say though that other then warranty concerns I would not fell compeeled to only use 5W20 if it made me fell nervious. We have also to date not seen any increase in wear in any powertrain calling for 5W20 when other weights of oil have been used.You will not hurt anything by running a 10W30 in it.

In the vicinity of Athens, Georgia, I can guarantee you it will make no measurable difference.
You'll spend an extra $5-10 per year on gasoline will be about the only difference.

I have no problems with 5w20 in Athens. And I'd use what the manufacturer recommends. I order my oil, too, and have 5w20 in one and 10w30 in the old Toyota. Lots of places will ship a case with 6 of one and 6 of the other, or whatever combination you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back