5W20 my next oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guy`s, I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and a happy new year. Now I need your opinions. This topic was briefly touched in the past, but my question is should I go with the PYB 5W20, or Synthetic for my next oil change? I`m leaning towards the PYB rite now because it`s such a fine oil, but wondering if it would break down too much during the summer? For those of you who dont know, the 3MZ-FE motor in my RX was back spec. to be able to use 0W20, or 5W20. But it was only back to 2006,mine is an 05. What could possible be the difference from 05 to 06? Are they just covering their backs due to millage/age? My question here is to decide on conventional or Synthetic, I have read on here that the 5W20 conventional oils of today are top notch. Another reason I want to try the 5W20 is cold engine performance,not mpg`s. my car is a slug on conventional 5W30 (when cold), but is much better on the Synthetic. This is mostly my reason for wanting to try the 5W20.

Thanks,
Ryan

Last edited:
Since it is back spec'd to 0-20or 5-20 I would try M1 0-20 or even M1 5-20EP. Also since you like Penz why not PP 5-20 or 0-20 if PP has 0-20.

Wikipedia says that in 2006, the RX received a mid-cycle refresh which consisted of a new 3.5L 2GR-FE V6 replacing the 3.3-liter 3MZ-FE V6 found in your 2005 RX 330.

With this info, it seems that although the 05 and 06 models might look similar, the engines are different and the newer 3.5L is the one back spec'd to 5w20, not your 3.3L 3MZ. Sorry bud.

Go with a 0w30 like Mobil 1 during the winter months to help with cold morning starts and then a 5w30 in your favorite flavor for the summer. I wouldn't run 5w20 in it, even if it might be "fine" with it. Toyota obviously didn't think so.

Good luck

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Whats your driving conditions (mileage, short trips or highway, etc)?

70% city, 30% Highway.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I'll second the nomination for Mobil 1 0W30. Didn't the 3.3 also have a tendency to sludge if not maintained well?

They claim it`s not a sludge engine, but regardless its tough on oil.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
Cold engine performance is not an envelope that should be pushed.

Well let me rephrase that, it is doggier than normal when cold. Compared to my 2001 RX300. Trust me, I dont push a cold engine, but it does need to pull hills after work.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Artem
Wikipedia says that in 2006, the RX received a mid-cycle refresh which consisted of a new 3.5L 2GR-FE V6 replacing the 3.3-liter 3MZ-FE V6 found in your 2005 RX 330.

With this info, it seems that although the 05 and 06 models might look similar, the engines are different and the newer 3.5L is the one back spec'd to 5w20, not your 3.3L 3MZ. Sorry bud.

Go with a 0w30 like Mobil 1 during the winter months to help with cold morning starts and then a 5w30 in your favorite flavor for the summer. I wouldn't run 5w20 in it, even if it might be "fine" with it. Toyota obviously didn't think so.

Good luck

Yes, it took place in 2006 for the 2007 models. The engine in the 2005 and 2006 models are the same 3MZ-FE.

I'll second the nomination for Mobil 1 0W30. Didn't the 3.3 also have a tendency to sludge if not maintained well?

No. The 3.0 litre did.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

but regardless its tough on oil.

I don't think so, but that's just based on some UOA's I've had done on my own Lexus with the 3.3 3MZ-FE.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that at all. I've run 5w30, 5w20, 0w20 and 0w30 in mine and so far it hasn't suffered catastropic failure. Mine is the hybrid (400h) - I've pretty much decided to run the Toyota 0w20 year round.

Direct from Lexus Canada, and I hope they're not lying to me. Now, you're in the States but I don't see why it would be any different than Canada (although it has been pointed out to me that Toyota doesn't offer a 0w20 in their own brand down there).

Originally Posted By: rcy
Direct from Lexus Canada, and I hope they're not lying to me. Now, you're in the States but I don't see why it would be any different than Canada (although it has been pointed out to me that Toyota doesn't offer a 0w20 in their own brand down there).

Well, my RX is made in Canada....
08.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back