5w20 Honda Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this has been answered before, but, I am new sorry. I just bought a Honda Pilot and it recommends 5w20 oil. However, I have heard even from the service dept where I bought it, that is is ok to use 5w30. I live in Hawaii so weather is not a problem. I ask because I really like Mobil1 5w30. Is it ok to use this weight oil in my Pilot? I heard 5w20 is mostly for fuel mileage and does Not protect as well as say 5w30 might. I do want to use a syn. oil. mv

quote:

Originally posted by michaelv:
I know this has been answered before, but, I am new sorry. I just bought a Honda Pilot and it recommends 5w20 oil. However, I have heard even from the service dept where I bought it, that is is ok to use 5w30. I live in Hawaii so weather is not a problem. I ask because I really like Mobil1 5w30. Is it ok to use this weight oil in my Pilot? I heard 5w20 is mostly for fuel mileage and does Not protect as well as say 5w30 might. I do want to use a syn. oil. mv

Mobil 1 5w30 will do fine, as would the Mobil 1 0w20.

Thanks, do I dare ask? If not a synth. then what would be a good 5w20 oil. I heard chevron is good. Just checking all my options..mv

quote:

Thanks, do I dare ask? If not a synth. then what would be a good 5w20 oil. I heard chevron is good. Just checking all my options..mv

I think the Conoco Hydroclear (aka Motorcraft) is one of the best. It's shown some very good numbers in the UOAs that have been posted of it.

thanks again, I most likely will stick with synth. Mobil1 5w-30. 0w20 is hard to find here. In fact, I have never seen it. Of the two, which is better?. I hope 5w-30 since that is all I can find, with the exception of 10w-30. That is at costco..mv

I am in the same situation with an '03 Honda Accord 3.0 DOHC V6, which I believe is that same engine as is used in the Pilot.

After reading a good bit of material I am convinced that Mobil-1 5W-30 will be very appropriate for this engine and I plan to transistion to it on a future oil change.

Right now I have the well regarded Motorcraft 5W-20 in there.

John

I have an 03 Prem. Mustang GT that suggests 5W20. I got that water out of there after the initial 1000 mile break-in. Now I'm running 5W30 with no problem.

Ok, finally, since my Pilot suggests using 5w20. I still have one more question. Between M1 5w30 and 10w30, which would be better for my Pilot here in Hawaii(weather). 10w30 is easy to get here(costco). I can get 5w30 but, a little more of a hassle. But, I still would like the best I can get for my new suv. Within reason I should say. thanks again mv

quote:

Of the two, which is better?. I hope 5w-30 since that is all I can find, with the exception of 10w-30. That is at costco..mv

I'm trying to answer that question in my Acura RSX. I have a 7000 mile sample of M1 5w-30 posted and another 7000 mile sample of M1 0w-20 enroute to a lab. I'll post the comparison soon.

[ August 26, 2003, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Jay ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back