5w-40 in a Subaru Outback

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 6 quarts of redline 5w-40 oil from a previous Audi I used to own. I now own a 2011 Subaru Outback which specifies 5w-30 oil, but hate for the redline to go to waste. Thoughts?

Is yours the turbo? IIRC Redline's 5w40 is quite heavy. Probably not the best (drop in MPG and power) but it would work.

I say you just sell the Redline.

No harm at all in using it; do so with confidence. But maybe wait until warmer weather.

"Planet Earth" is a big place, it might help the rest of us make more sensible recommendations based on the expected winter & summer cold start & ambient temps if you put a more logical location in your profile.

Use it. It won't make any difference. If it was good enough for your Audi it's good enough for your Subaru.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Is yours the turbo? IIRC Redline's 5w40 is quite heavy. Probably not the best (drop in MPG and power) but it would work.

I say you just sell the Redline.

Is this Fairy Tale Hour?

Please explain how 5W-40 "is quite heavy." If you are talking about the difference in viscosity between these two oils, please compare the viscosity values at specific oil temperatures. Most importantly, what is the viscosity of OIL A versus that of Oil B at common ambient start-up temperature and at the normal operating temperature. That's what's relevant.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Buy 6 quarts Redline 5w-20 and mixing half and half with 5W40 to make 5W30.

I see, it's Fairy Tale Hour Part 2. Every oil base stock has different molecular weight. The resulting mix is not a chemical combination, it's just a physical one. Calculating viscosity the way you suggest is a mistake.

Reactions: a5m
Originally Posted By: Tribeca
I have 6 quarts of redline 5w-40 oil from a previous Audi I used to own. I now own a 2011 Subaru Outback which specifies 5w-30 oil, but hate for the redline to go to waste. Thoughts?

Use the 5W-40 with confidence.

Are the 2011's like the previous model years that state 5W-30 is preferred for fuel economy and that 5W-40 is also allowed? Not sure if there would ever be a warranty issue with running a non-API certified oil. I don't think there would be a problem, but I thought that I'd throw it out there. The Subaru synthetic, made by Idemitsu, doesn't even show the API certification. I would use it.

I'm pretty sure there's a uoa or two on some n/a Subaru's on RT6 in the uoa forum. I've run conventional 10W-40 and Amsoil DEO 5W-40 in a '99 Outback.

-Dennis

Last edited:
5w40 is fine in that engine... in fact some argue it's the preferred viscosity. I've run 15w40 in my H4 and loved it.

It'll be fine. Many people use a 5w40 in the 2.5 H4 engines, whether turbo or NA. Minimal effect on MPG reported.

+1.
If the new engine is like the old one, as well as the old OM, Subaru allows the use of a wide range of grades and certainly a 5W-40 would be fine.
I'd run the Redine in warmer weather, and I'd feel bad running it less than the recommended 7.5K, assuming Subaru still recommends 7.5K or 7.5 months for the NA.

Subaru I4 NA engines are fairly easy on oil and depending on the year I think 5w30 is the preferred oil. You are probably OK with a 40wt especially in hot weather but, one has to wonder about how it affect the VVT.

No effect on the VVT at all. Subaru has recommended up to 20W-50 in their VVT engines.

Subaru is not like all the other Bozos who can't engineer a VVT system that will work with a wide range of viscosities.

Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Subaru I4 NA engines are fairly easy on oil and depending on the year I think 5w30 is the preferred oil. You are probably OK with a 40wt especially in hot weather but, one has to wonder about how it affect the VVT.

You could look up the viscosity of a sanctioned 5W-30 and that of the Red Line 5W-40 at, say 212°F, which is approximately normal operating oil temperature.

I'm currently running Mobil 1 0w-40 in my '04 Legacy 2.5, seems to like it, runs smooth, no effect on mpg from previous 5w-30 run.

Originally Posted By: Volvo_ST1
Originally Posted By: Tribeca

Use the 5W-40 with confidence.

+1. I am waiting for fairy tale hour part 3 anxiously.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back