5w-30 when 5w-20 is required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Originally Posted By: Belo
...So I'm an engineer and anal about stuff...

Welcome to BITOG! You'll fit right in!

welcome2.gif

Yep...

Gas mileage will go down .001% (within margins of error, really)

Extra wear? no.

Loss of Hp might be .23 or so....
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Marco620
With all the timing chain fears I think 5w30 is the better choice. You did good

Lets see. I have put 425K with 20wt on my last three Ford engines with timing chains. Most of that with 0-20 M1. No problems. Yet.

Yeah, big deal.
You don't put a LOT of miles on just ONE engine.
Following the same logic, I have over 600,000 miles on the cheapest 15W-40 oil you can buy.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Beyond fine, 5w30 would be all that vehicle would ever see if it was mine. All my Fords get 5w30.

Mine too....despite the factory recommendation of 5w-20....many of those chosen via back-speccing and/or CAFE fuel savings...not maximized engine life.

Though during the winter the 5w-20 isn't a bad idea, especially in Rochester if your commutes are not long. But in the summer I'm all for 5w-30.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Beyond fine, 5w30 would be all that vehicle would ever see if it was mine.

Same here.

thank you all. Out of curiosity if there is an unrelated engine failure, could they (would they) void my warranty?

I'm not overly concerned about the loss in mpg. More so the wear... other vehicles in the fleet aren't really mpg friendly

09 Pontiac G8GT (6L v8)
16 chevy silverado
05 Yamaha r6 (the best at 45mpg) lol.

As far as warranty, it would be near impossible to tell and would be a rather difficult reach to blame an engine issue on "grade" of oil. Especially since as mentioned variants of that engine spec 5w30. Now NO oil that's another matter.

Besides you said your receipts said 5w20 anyway.

This is just an example of Ford trying to boost their CAFE numbers by .02%. Any oil that's good enough for it's turbocharged brother is good enough for yours. You'll notice no difference, and neither will your engine.

I keep nothing but 5W-30 synthetics in the garage. My 2017 Mazda CX-3 ran happily on it, even though it 'requires' 0W-20.

Mathematically, you're running 5W-28.333. As long as the oil meets Ford specs you will be fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex

Lets see. I have put 425K with 20wt on my last three Ford engines with timing chains. Most of that with 0-20 M1. No problems. Yet.

Yeah, big deal.
You don't put a LOT of miles on just ONE engine.
Following the same logic, I have over 600,000 miles on the cheapest 15W-40 oil you can buy.

What kind of vehicle?

Originally Posted By: Belo
Google lead me here and I appreciate the help.

2015 explorer limited. v6 (no eco). 25k miles. 5w-20 required.

story
Place an online order through autozone for 6 quarts of 5w-20 mobile one synthetic yesterday. Picked it up today to do the oil change. Running a bunch of errands to get ready for the game and not paying attention. Do the change, nice and clean and it's not until I go to dump the old oil back into the bottles that I noticed my 5 quarts was 5w-30... The single quart was the correct 5w-20. Receipt and order were both correct.

So I'm an engineer and anal about stuff (hence doing my own oil changes in upstate ny winter). Google shows mixed results stating mostly that i'll be ok. However it could reduce mileage, hp and cause extra wear. It also seems that newer cars have tighter specs. So I plan to go back to see if they'll refund me 6 new quarts. But curious if they don't what risk i'm in? I probably wouldn't care if just the single quart was off. How big a deal is this for the next 7.5k?

This has gone 'round and 'round on the Ford forums....
Same oiling system in both the 3.5EB and NA3.5 so absolutely no problem using the 5w30, or mixing the two.

My DD was using the spec 5w-20 for about the 1st 50k, then I switch to 5w-30 since. Will soon hit 145k on odo.
I can't tell any difference when I switch except using the same oil (5w-30) as in the other 2 vehicles. So now all vehicles are using 5w-30.

We've used 10w30,5w20,5w30 and with no issues on our 325,000+ miles 4.6 Crown Victoria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back