5W-30 That Doesn't Shear

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
Triple_Se7en - what do you make of Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30?
Hard to find here, but the attributes I've seen all look good for small GDI's: high shear stability, stout additives, etc. Shame to have to dump it @ 5k OCI's, but oh, well!

I'm not 777 but i can tell you it is top notch. Very shear stable.

HTFS

By "HTFS" he of course references shear thinning where the (indexed) losses from permanent shear tend to become meaningless. Quite some talk about shear stability therefore is overly pointless, insinuating performance that ain't there anyway.

Last edited:
1. Worst case machine elements: valve train, cylinders (HTFS)
2. Major load bearing drivetrain: journal bearings (HTHS)

That's why I thought Gokhan's work was phenomenal. Yes, I know it's an estimate, but I'm unaware of any other work that provides these answers.

His work is very good (I refer to it myself at times) but for the purpose of this post it has to be stated that its "estimate value' is only valid when compared to a laboratory scale in a bulk quantity. That is no real or effective correlation to actual conditions inside a machine so there is no "answer".

That deserves an explanation as to why- here it is.

First- the reason this information isn't commonly available is because of the cost of the testing is prohibitive in many cases so companies don't want to pay for it because it's not a necessary thing to know for their product (or they suspect but don't want to know for a different set of reasons) and those that do keep it a secret. I just happen to have some because I do this on certain equipment for companies in specific applications. I can go general without violating anything.

You listed 3 examples so that's 3 different models so let's just stick to the journal bearing (which I personally do the most of)

Here's the process for me to answer that question for say "JB-1" ( which would have to be repeated for JB-2 is properties differ significantly)

Shear in the oil is directly proportional to the volume, force, temp inside the journal bore ( defined as where the bearing and shaft have contact) and all of that is relative to the FT of the design and subject to whether it is single pass or flood supported (splash or pump)

Then I have to segregate the fluid laminations because there will be a minimum of 3 different ones with their own properties. I will have boundary to bearing, boundary to shaft then the middle section.

Too thin a viscosity I start affecting shear more mechanically because of a fluctuating FT based on fluidic balance relative to asperities and geometry.

Too thick a viscosity then the fluid generates heat and that affects shearing the other way.

Then on an ICE- you have 2 shock pulses to the FT (TDC and BDC when full linear inertia is added)

This is just to start the process.

Now I need to outfit with probes, high speed imaging, accelerometers, acoustics etc. to monitor in real time, build a model with custom tests or head to ansys (which I will do anyway)

Then to validate I have to do a detailed metrology exercise.

Then in your car I have the 2 other regimes (beyond the scope of this post)

All of these forces are acting on an oil in a sump in a car that directly affect shear and rate.

So what we do for "field expedient testing" (less expensive but with a higher risk of error) is get the UT, FLIR, HS camera and accelerometers and make test runs of various viscosities with various additives ( with a detailed flush) to establish baselines.

Measure them with a data logger and compare with sampling (and we pull multiple working zone samples from minimess type valves to actually sample specific working groups to compare with a general sump sample)

Obviously every type of machine cannot have all of these done by design so you do the best you can.

We take all of that then analyze.

That's the difference between a 6 digit and a 7 digit test protocol. Only machines that cost in the millions of dollars or have that much in downtime get this type of analysis and reporting.

Some may come up with a single point test and call it a "miracle revelation" but that's right there with the 1 arm bandit.

If anyone wants a valid answer they have to go the distance- there is no way to accurately correlate a standard test with actual conditions without it

In summary take all of the articles and extrapolations for what they are because none of them directly correlate to what actually has to be known to accurately address the questions on actual shearing inside a given machine ( and other properties of oils as well)

petro canada supreme synthetic 5w30. HTHS 3.3

i use this oil in my 2019.5 mazda cx-5 gt turbo. last week temperatures reached 37.2 celcius without humidity where i live and in winter -36 celcius. i drive on average 5000km a month. 60 000km a year. even though i know my mazda dealer already use this oil, i buy my stuff at the petro canada distributor. i prefer to see the real petro canada bottles, not the petro canada bottles with a mazda sticker. i guess it is psychological effect.

What finds its way into the spec sheets is actually sad when automated testers would supply viscosity curves within a few hours per oil.
So for a start at least the oil sports should stop calling oils without basic viscosity curves boutique oils. Stage two might be to no longer speak of top notch for staying in grade over some mileage in UOA.

Originally Posted by farrarfan1
Originally Posted by ChrisD46

*This is a possible concern as a GDI engine owner (Hyundai) as the VII's are not your friend with respect to intake valve deposits ... I may stock up on my current favorite synthetic oil (Valvoline Advance D1 / G2 GFF / SN+ 5W30 synthetic oil) .

I also prefer the Valvoline Advanced, I'm using it in my daughters 2019 Santa Fe with the notorious 2.4 engine. I used the 0W-20 in our 2016 Honda HR-V which we just traded on a year old Jeep Cherokee with the 2.0L turbo, and also recently bought a 2020 Ram 1500, both of which will get the appropriate grade of Valvoline Advanced when it's time to change their oil. I was in Walmart yesterday and the Valvoline Advanced they had on the shelves was all SN+/GF-5 but I'm wondering if what's in the containers may actually be the new SP formula but it was sent out before the May 1 date so they couldn't display the new certs? That is pure speculation on my part, but it sort of makes sense that they would've been producing the new stuff before May 1. Your thoughts?

Edit : I meant GF-5 in my post (not GFF) ... I would like to think you are good on the Valvoline Advance 5W30 GF-5 , SN+ D1/Gen 2 oil found still at WM .

Originally Posted by buster
Triple_Se7en - what do you make of Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30?
Hard to find here, but the attributes I've seen all look good for small GDI's: high shear stability, stout additives, etc. Shame to have to dump it @ 5k OCI's, but oh, well!

I'm not 777 but i can tell you it is top notch. Very shear stable.

I'm guessing the same thing. But there's going to be uptick Calcium (around 1500) and low-low Magnesium. Gokhan liked the Mobil-1 ESP 5W30 for GDI / TGDI. I know Europe GDIs like ESP too..

I'll stick with Valvoline Syn (Advanced / Modern Engine) for now and still have two jugs of PUP to use-up (non GDI Kia 2.0 MPI).
I want to stay with Dexos 1 Gen for the next few years in the GDI 2.4 Hyundai.

If I grab something new in similar price, it might be Mobil-1 EP.

Last edited:
I asked the question because I got to thinking about manufacturers that still specify 5W-30.

If a manufacturer specifies 5W-30 and it ends up at the same viscosity as 5W-20 in that engine due to increased shearing then what was the point?

So I was thinking about what typical SN+ 5W-30 tended to shear less. Nobody really knows with SP.yet.

Gokhan recently mentioned that he suspects (overall) the csts of SP will be a wee-bit thinner than SN Plus. More VIIs too.
Time will tell. But it's obvious - in looking back at the past five years or-so, that thinner is the new norm in the industry, unless the bottler is bidding for the lowest prices on base stocks. Then additives take over to thicken it back-up.

Gokhan is MIA lately. Molakule may be reading the threads today, to help out.

Last edited:
From Gokhan's Chart, the top three shear-stable oils are:

1. Ravenol VMP 5W-30
2. Motul 8100 X-clean+ 5W-30
3. Red Line High-Performance 5W-30

The next level of shear-stable oils are:
4. Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-30
5. Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30
6. Amsoil Series 3000 HDD 5W-30
Revenol is no longer a champ after they reformulated their oil in 2020 but it is still very good oil.
Here are the results based on latest PDS.

5W-30.jpg

It would be nice if a margin of error was included... for example, 3.7 cP HTHS viscosity could be 3.65-3.74 range...
Oh sorry. I've hidden all the columns after BO KV100 which also included margin of error so I could fit it on here.

Hmmm, Ravenol says VMP has an HTHS of 3.6.

Is it time to start looking at 10W-30 maybe? My Jeep Cherokee 2L turbo requires synthetic 5W-30 but I'm seriously considering 10W-30, it would work just fine in the climate where I live.
Tha is where I am,

Interestingly Mazda has rcomended 0w-20 in the MX-5 for several years including 2022, but in Mexico the recommendation was 5w-30, Now for 2022 the Mexico recommendation moved to 10w-30 for temps above 0f, no known changes to the 2.0L Skyactive G for 2022. motor is produced in Japan only known market change is auto stop/start for the EU.

10w-30 oils are kinda lacking in approvals though, mainly old Chrysler and GM aprovals, I assume (hope?) it is the viscosity knocking it out of most modern approvals, I would hope it is not instead 10w-30 getting short changed in additive pack.

Last edited:
Back