5w-30 Synthetic Suitable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All.
i've got some spare Castrol Edge 5w-30 Fully synthetic which im considering using for next oil change in my toyota avensis 2AZ-FE with 205,000 kms (130 mi). The book says 5w-30 is okay, but i've only used 10w-40 and 10w-30 semi synthetic in the past as I think using the fully syn 5w-30 isnt necessary and I'm just wasting money.. Should i buy some cheaper oil and save this for something else?

(This may be a dumb question, but I have an urge to ask)
Would the use of this potentially cause/increase minor leaks as rumored with switching to fully synthetic? (Car currently has oil stains here and there but I thinks its just spillage rather than leaks).

Last edited:
It'll do just fine on that oil - the old girl probably deserves a treat! You'll get some saying it'll cause leaks, some saying it wont. In my experience, changing over to synthetic in older engines has never caused any issues. Try it and see what happens!

I would use it, maybe stretch out the change interval a bit if you want. It should't cause any leaks but if leaking slightly it could make it worse by cleaning deposits.

The "synthetic causes oil leaks" deal was with early PAO formulas, not an issue anymore. And besides, Castrol Edge 5w-30 is a group III hydrocracked mineral oil so it would be irrelevant anyway.

It will do just fine.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
The "synthetic causes oil leaks" deal was with early PAO formulas, not an issue anymore. And besides, Castrol Edge 5w-30 is a group III hydrocracked mineral oil so it would be irrelevant anyway.

It will do just fine.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back