5W-30 is the new THICK oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
We can't have cars & pick-up trucks lasting a million miles, so thin oil and sealed suspension components that cannot be serviced is the new norm.
Let's see how all this thin oil rage plays out when Donny cancels NOACK tax credits and shoos all the self-interest groups out of Washington.

This otta kick start Merk's thread.

That might even thicken oil up a bit, and change oil fill caps to read 5W30 again. LOL

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Just an observation. I noticed alotta guys on here are afraid to try 5W-30 when their cap says 0W-20.
grin2.gif

I noticed one guy here is afraid to try 5w-30 when his cap says 10w-30, and the HTHS is essentially identical.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
jayg; You're coming up 700k short of a million miles, and you haven't left the pavement.

I picked an arbitrary number of 300k as that is more of a common mileage of an older vehicle than a million miles. Extrapolate the formula out to a million miles and it still holds up.

Extrapolate-

:
to infer (values of a variable in an unobserved interval) from values within an already observed interval
a
:
to project, extend, or expand (known data or experience) into an area not known or experienced so as to arrive at a usually conjectural knowledge of the unknown area
b
:
to predict by projecting past experience or known data

The oil fill cap on my SUV says to use 02-w5.
I cannot find this oil at any of the auto stores, looked everywhere on-line,
it is a mystery where to purchase it.
Maybe it is a dealer only oil?

Oh, wait ....... sorry, the oil fill cap was on up-side down!
Stupid is as stupid does ........

33.gif

Mine is BLACK.

Straight 40 is the NEW BLACK

I'll get around to it eventually.

Last edited:
I want to use 5w/30 with all my heart and soul in my new Tundra. I am afraid it will cause high pressure and grenade the engine. Because it is still on warranty Toyota won't fix it. There has to be a serious dark reason why Toyota demands 0w-20.

Originally Posted By: Moondawg
I want to use 5w/30 with all my heart and soul in my new Tundra. I am afraid it will cause high pressure and grenade the engine. Because it is still on warranty Toyota won't fix it. There has to be a serious dark reason why Toyota demands 0w-20.

Because CAFE

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I had a neighbor with an 85 Volvo. The oil fill cap said "Castrol 20W50".

Those old Volvo 4 cylinders could easily go 300k miles... Mine loved 15w40 diesel oil.

On the other foot, some of these guys are so far behind the times they think engines still use splash lubrication and Babbitt bearings.

Originally Posted By: igs
Originally Posted By: Tony10s

Just like there are people who are "afraid" or reluctant to use a 0W-20 or 5W-20 motor oil when the oil cap and manual say to do so.

Do the oil cap and manual say so because it's better for the car or because they are required to?

https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=14177&flag=1

What's "better" and how do you quantify it?? Does that mean you'll get 350K miles out of the engine w/ 5w-30 vs. 300K miles with a thinner oil or does it in fact not matter for the vast majority of drivers who don't keep vehicles that long anyway?? The engineer vs. bean counter thing has been beaten to death and it's likely that the empirical reality is that it depends on the vehicle and not the one up or down grade of oil you put in it.

There should be a contest on this site to see how many ways the "thick vs. thin" debate can be portrayed and argue about something that there isn't a universal answer for...it's right up there with "who invented air??" in the brain synapse department.

it's more about keeping an engine fresh, running like new. 5/30 costs no more than 0/20 yet 25% more protection.

Want to sell cars in the U.S.?

CAFE is regulation, here's the reason your told to use light 0/20 oil...

'If the average fuel economy of a manufacturer's annual fleet of vehicle production falls below the applicable requirement, the manufacturer must either apply sufficient CAFE credits (see below) to cover the shortfall or pay apenalty, currently $5.50 per 0.1 mpg under the standard, multiplied by the manufacturer's total production for the U.S. domestic market. '

Originally Posted By: dblshock
it's more about keeping an engine fresh, running like new. 5/30 costs no more than 0/20 yet 25% more protection.

Where on earth did you come up with that number? Going from a 0w20 to a 5w30 get you 25% more protection? Honestly, where are you getting that number?

By your logic if somebody uses SAE 60 they should 300% more protected.

This place is chock full of misinformation passed off as fact.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Originally Posted By: dblshock

Where on earth did you come up with that number? Going from a 0w20 to a 5w30 get you 25% more protection? Honestly, where are you getting that number?

By your logic if somebody uses SAE 60 they should 300% more protected.

This place is chock full of misinformation passed off as fact.

I (as well as you) know exactly where he pulled those numbers from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back