5W-20 or 5W-30 in new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a new Mazda 6 that calls for 5W-20, of course that's a little hard to find. Wondering if I'd be better off just using a 5W-30 synthetic instead like PP 30 or M1. Any suggestions?

Most Wal Marts carry 5W-20 in several brands both conventional and synthetics. I personally would stick with the 5W-20 in the "new" car.

Most places that carry those two oils will have them in 5w-20 or 5w-30. Without starting a ridiculous threadstorm, not really much difference between the two. Should get a little better mileage on the 20, some say smoother running on the 30 but I find this hard to believe.

You'd be fine with either. You could spend all day on 5w-30 vs 5w-20 discussions here if y ou wanted.

Run what is spec'd for your car 5W-20. I have a Mazda CX-9 which requires 5W-20 as well. I have had no problem finding it at Walmart in 5 qt jugs. Maybe you're shopping at Costco or Sam's Club?

Use what the manufacturer recommends during the warranty period, then use whatever makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.

Not sure why you say 5W-20 is "a little hard to find"...Wally World, NAPA, AutoZone, Advance Auto, and every small local auto parts store I've been in all have it...along with Ford, Honda and Toyota dealers.

Many auto parts stores carry only select oils in the 5w-20 weight. I think it's because most owners don't realize that many of todays cars require 5w-20 per the manual. I've seen tons of 5w-30, 10w-30, and 10w-40 (can you say 1970's?) oils. I've brought this up to the staff of a couple of stores but they just looked at me like I spoke in gibberish.

MC 5W20 for $12.50/5qt at WM is a great start...and probably finish. (meets Ford's '930A spec.)

What OCI is spec'd ?

Synth for 5K miles is probably over kill unless turbo. At 5K I'm inclined to consider Pennzoil YB also if manual says it's OK.

If 7.5K is spec'd I would lean synth when I can get it discounted.

Originally Posted By: FusionGuy37
Have a new Mazda 6 that calls for 5W-20, of course that's a little hard to find. Wondering if I'd be better off just using a 5W-30 synthetic instead like PP 30 or M1. Any suggestions?

Hard to find???

Ford and Honda have spec'd 5w20 for almost all there cars for the past 7+ years. You can get 5w20 in any chain autoparts store in The country. Walmart and Kmart stock 5w20 aswell.

I would use what the engine maker specs. However, 5w30 can be used with great results. It will not make a difference. I just tend to like to follow what the engine maker says is ideal.

Which engine do you have in it? Either way, I'd use 5W-20 Motorcraft synthetic blend for many trouble free miles...

I recall the 3.7L V6 calls for 5W-20, but says you can use "5W-40" in the manual if no 5W-20 is available (my ex bought a 6GT)...

Last edited:
5W-30 will be absolutely fine in an application that calls for 5W-20. Many times the owner manuals that call for 5W-20 will even say you can move to a higher viscosity grade in high temperature environments (over 100F).

There are lots of people here on BITOG using 5W-30 in auto's that call for 5W-20, with the thinking that they like a little extra viscosity protection. I'm the same way. I have a stash of 5W-30's. If I buy a new vehicle that calls for 5W-20, … I would be using my 5W-30's in it.

I'm sold on Motorcraft 5W20. Used it in my wife's 01 Escape since new. At 125k it runs like new and doesn't burn any oil. I use PP 5W20 in my 06 Mustang GT, another good choice if you want full synthetic.

I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey, and it calls for 5-20. Living in south Texas, where it never gets cold, and the heat is near 100 degrees for months on end, it (5-20) unnerves me a little bit...

However, I follow Honda spec. I AM a little uncomfortable, but I won't try to outsmart Honda. I am following directions, running PP, and hoping for the best.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey, and it calls for 5-20. Living in south Texas, where it never gets cold, and the heat is near 100 degrees for months on end, it (5-20) unnerves me a little bit...

However, I follow Honda spec. I AM a little uncomfortable, but I won't try to outsmart Honda. I am following directions, running PP, and hoping for the best.

As noted by Drivebelt, the spec may not be as strict on viscosity as you think. Check the owners manual (not just the oil filler cap). I would bet that many Honda dealers will use 5W-30 for oil changes without even telling the customer.

I'm with others. Motorcraft 5W-20 may be the most "straight up" choice, but feel free to deviate a little if you wish. Personally, I run what is recommended in all my cars.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Use what the manufacturer recommends during the warranty period, then use whatever makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.

Not sure why you say 5W-20 is "a little hard to find"...Wally World, NAPA, AutoZone, Advance Auto, and every small local auto parts store I've been in all have it...along with Ford, Honda and Toyota dealers.

+1

It is the 3.7 liter engine. It says that if 5W-20 isn't available, 10W-30, 10W-40, or 5W-40 may be used. That's a pretty wide variety.

Hmmm...wonder why they didn't say 5W-30 for good measure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back