5w-20 instead 0w-20 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys,i have been using Shell 10w-30 oil in my vehicle for a long time, this oil is semi-synthetic so I want to replace it with a fully synthetic one. I want to use 0w-20 oil for fuel economy but the manufacturer recommends min. 5w-20 oil. Can I use 0w-20 oil on my car ? My car is Hyundai Accent Blue,1.4 D-CVVT nat.asp. engine,60.000 km.The country i live in is max. 35 degrees in summer, min. 0 degrees in winter.

Bu, bu sitede en çok tartışılan neredeyse bir numaralı soru olmalı, eğer arama işlevinden yararlanırsanız veya sadece rastgele konuları incelerseniz, birçok mevcut tartışma bulacaksınız.

Mutlu cumalar.
Oh yes,I have been searching this site for days, I finally registered :) I think I can use 0w20 instead of 5w20 oil, but the manufacturer says you can use min. 5w20 oil. I am confused.

In my opinion, given the kms a year, and age of the vehicle, I would stay with conventional, and stay with your oil, or go with a 5W-30. Something like a Pennzoil 5W-30 yellow bottle conventional oil.
Not a fan of changing what works for an immeasurable improvement.

Regarding your ambient there's little use in differentiating between the two grades 0W-20 and 5W-20. Special interest would lead to either one.

In my opinion, given the kms a year, and age of the vehicle, I would stay with conventional, and stay with your oil, or go with a 5W-30. Something like a Pennzoil 5W-30 yellow bottle conventional oil.
Not a fan of changing what works for an immeasurable improvement.

I guess not much will change for fuel economy,right ? The oil was changed 5,000 km ago, I didn't like this oil they used because engine runs noisy during cold starts.Should I use 5w-20 oil?

Last edited:
Personally, I'd stick with the 10w30 you've been running or a full synthetic of the same weight. I doubt there's going to be enough fuel mileage increase that you'll even notice it by going to an XXw20. I run conventional 10w40 in my vehicles and beat EPA rating on all my cars by several MPG.

Personally, I'd stick with the 10w30 you've been running or a full synthetic of the same weight. I doubt there's going to be enough fuel mileage increase that you'll even notice it by going to an XXw20. I run conventional 10w40 in my vehicles and beat EPA rating on all my cars by several MPG.

I would keep using what you are using now, in your climate there is no reason to use fuel economy grades. You will not see much if any improvement in fuel economy.

I started thinking that way too, it looks like I will use 5w-30 full synthetic in the next service,thanks for comments..

The best way to increase MPG is not by the oil you use but by adjusting your driving habits. No jack rabbit starts, coasting to stops, lower speed etc. My '16 Versa is rated at 31 city, 39 highway and 34 combined, since purchase in Feb. 2019 my overall average is 48.8 mpg. Most of my driving is rural roads in the 40-55 MPH range with probably about 10-15% small town driving. My fuel log can be seen by clicking on the link in my signature.

OP nothing wrong with Shell 10W30 semi-synthetic.

When it comes to 20 grade oils, a 5W20 would most likely be a Group III oil or even a Group II & Group III semi-synthetic. While a 0W20 is more likely to contain a reasonable amount of Group IV (PAO). Given the first number is just about cold temperature ability, and your climate is mild, they would be fairly interchangeable for you. But in most situations the 0W20 would be considered the better oil.

However as a car ages, I tend to stay the same or go thicker, not thinner. So if you wanted to go full synthetic then I would go for a 5W30 first. Get an ILSAC GF-5 rated one which is a fuel economy grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back