5w-20 + 10w-40 = ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I have 5 qts 5w-20 and 5 qts 10w-40 Proline dino. I originally was going to use the -20 in my mom's Camry and the -40 in my car for the Auto-Rx rinse phase but now I'm wondering if I will get close to a 30 weight if I mixed the two 1:1. Will there be any negatives?

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Mix it, there will be no negatives.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Mix it, there will be no negatives.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

great

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
Well, it SURE ain't gonna' be a "15w-60"

5w +10w= 15w
-20 -40= -60

NO!!! You can probably mix it without overt problems, but OTOH, remember that the calculation of the resulting net viscosity is not a linear calculation. There's a logarithmic formula for calculating the true net vis resulting after mixing oils of different viscosities. It's here on BITOG somewhere - find the true formula, and make sure you're OK with the outcome before actually mixing oils.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: glenncof
0.5x5 + 0.5x10 = 7.5 cold
0.5x20 + 0.5x40 = 30 hot

if different than 50/50 just change ratio

That would be the cold viscosity? I thought calculating it was a bit more involved?

AD

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
Well, it SURE ain't gonna' be a "15w-60"

5w +10w= 15w
-20 -40= -60

NO!!! You can probably mix it without overt problems, but OTOH, remember that the calculation of the resulting net viscosity is not a linear calculation. There's a logarithmic formula for calculating the true net vis resulting after mixing oils of different viscosities. It's here on BITOG somewhere - find the true formula, and make sure you're OK with the outcome before actually mixing oils.
cheers3.gif

Uh, my comment was 100% sarcastic, BTW...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back