5w-10w30 temp difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know this is reaching but could there be a operating difference in temp. regarding 5w30 vs 10w30 oils? i realize they both are 30wt. when hot..someone told me 5w30 dissipates heat better,i think it is bogus.my toyota dealer told me there would be more noise with 10w30 ...

quote:

Originally posted by moontan:
i know this is reaching but could there be a operating difference in temp. regarding 5w30 vs 10w30 oils? i realize they both are 30wt. when hot..someone told me 5w30 dissipates heat better,i think it is bogus.my toyota dealer told me there would be more noise with 10w30 ...

The oils are different at higher temps, as the basestocks are different.

In Simi Valley, why would the 10W-30 cause more "noise" than the 5W-30? I can see a cold start where I live, where even a regular 5W-30 is frozen at -35.

What motor are you running? In Australia, most Toyota's recommend a 20W-50 in higher temps.

Jerry

At operating temps there is not much difference between the two, except that the 10w-30 stays in grade longer.
However, I agree with the opinion above that you should use a thicker oil than 10w-30 both in OZ or Simi Valley.

[ March 03, 2004, 03:31 AM: Message edited by: Lubricious ]

right now my 3.4 v6 toyota has 10w30 pennzoil in it. ironically, the brand my dealer uses to service vehicles.5w30 as rec.,or 10w30 for higher mileage.one of the service advisors mentioned more noise with 10w30,but he did not seem to know too much anyway.one thing i am sick of is the pennzoil bashing at work. i am tempted to change it for another brand .
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back