505.01 oil options ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Castrol TXT is a Group III synthetic motor oil, mainly intended for VW TDI engines. It is an interim specification, and should be superceded in another year or two. I don't think it would hurt anything to run it in your Honda, but the Mobil 1 is probably better -- many TDI drivers think the Mobil 1 5w40 is better than any of the Elf/Motul/Castrol 505.01-spec motor oils for our engines. So it would probably be better for yours.

Ok, but what does the 505.01 spec mean? What makes it "special" and specific to TDI engines? With all these free quarts, it sure would be nice if the formulation would lend itself to my setup. MPG isn't really a concern, I already run ~75% E-85 ~25% unleaded which doesn't get the best mileage, but sure motivates the car!

Quote:

Nope. The PD engine requires 505.01 or better, M1 0w40 only meets 505.00. ....

ExxonMobil doesn't see a market in North America that justifies a 505.01 oil at this time.

In Europe the Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is recommended (but not certified) for 505.01 applications except "except 'Unit-Injector/Pumpe-Düse' R5/V10-TDi (VW 506 01) and 3/4-cylinder Diesel engines without Longlife-Service/without Diesel-Particulate-Filter'".

Mobil Synt S Special V 5W-40 is VW 505 01 certified.

TJ,

In layman's terms (and that's exactly what I am, not an expert) the 505.01 oil is specially formulated to lubricate the cam lobes on the VW TDI PD engines. Each cylinder has its own unit injector (pumpe-duese) operated by the camshaft. VW found that using "normal" motor oils caused premature wear on the lobes. Hence the 505.01 specification. I cannot tell you what chemicals make the difference between a 505.01 and another oil--but I'm sure others would know.

VW recommends 10K miles oil change intervals with Castrol TXT 5w-40, which even has an Audi/VW part number. I have run it for 10K in my TDI with a good UAO indicating it could have gone substantially longer. So it's a robust oil. Kinematic viscosity at 40*C is 95 cSt; at 100*C is 14.4 cSt. I don't know the HTHS but it is above 3.5 cP at 150*C.

I think you could run this oil in your Honda and not worry at all about its providing excellent lubrication.

Cheers, Mark

Thanks Mark!
I was searching around on the Castrol site earlier today, and could not find 1 mention of the TXT 505.01 oil. Hmmm.
So is this a synthetic oil?

Still in disbelief as to how difficult it has been to find some info on this stuff!

VW is absurd with oil specifications. You couldn't pay me to buy one. GF's VW is garbage.

TJ,

Recently Primus from Kiev provided links to a French Castrol site which had the technical data on TXT. See the GC & Euro/Import Oils board.

Where you are determines whether the oil is considered synthetic. The stuff is produced in Germany but you'll notice the bottle does not say it is synthetic. So in Germany it's considered something less. The French spec-sheet says it is synthetic. I believe it is in the same league as Syntec (U.S.-produced), i.e., Group III, so in the U.S. it could be termed synthetic.

There are folks here in BITOG who will foam at the mouth over the distinction, and I really don't want to go there. Are there better oils out there? You bet, but the TXT is "good enough" and, in your case, it's free.

Cheers, Mark

I'd like to add some useful information :

In the USA and Canada, VW Diesels from the 2004 model year no longer use a timing-belt driven distributor-type injector pump. Replacing the injection pump are 4 separate pump injectors driven by 4 separate lobes on the camshaft (it now has 12). Rocker arms follow the lobe profile and operate the pump injectors.

These pump injectors combine the functions of the mechanical high pressure pump and an electronically controlled fuel injector. The pump injector opening pressure is just under 28,000 (yes, 28 and 3 zeros) psi. compared to around 3300 psi on earlier TDIs and 2300 on non-TDI VW Diesels.

It takes a tremendous amount of power to generate this pressure, and lubrication where the cam lobe and rocker arms meet is critical. Apparently, only oils meeting the VW spec. 505.01 can provide this required level of lubrication. BUT, Castrol is NOT the only oil that meets the requirements; there are several. I have no doubt that the guys from the TDI club who lurk here can/will let you know what they use. Great bunch of people, by the way.

Those new Diesels are known as PD Diesels. PD stands for "Pumpe Düse" or "Pump Injection".

Arthur LeBrun
Bentley Publishers

http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/thread.jspa?forumID=52&threadID=1271&messageID=127154

Hello! I am new in this forum and live in Sweden and have been reading some of the threads with great interest.I drive an Audi A6Avant 1.9Tdi - so called Pumpe Düse - ( Nozzle in english ?) There is as much confusion in Europe as it seems to me, when reading your messages , in the US, as to which oil to use in the VW and Audi diesel engines. VW and Audi introduced so called " long life " oil a couple of years ago for their latest developed diesel engines. However some of their PD-diesel engines should definitely not use theese " long life-oils". In my Audi 1.9Tdi I should use an oil which meets the VW spec. 505 01. ALL OILS meeeting the VW 50501 spec. independent of manufacturer are not fully synthetic but what I assume is called semi-synthetic? in the english language ( unsure of the correct expression) The oil companies can send samples to VW/Audi and get them tested and approved - which costs money of course - but in return they get an " certificate " and an approval that their oil is approved by VW/Audi. Many manufacturers dont. The manufacture an oil which, acc. to their opinion
" meets " the VW 505 01 specification - but has de facto not been approved by VW/Audi. This does not mean the oil is a sub-standard oil - but could of course create problems in case of an engine failure ( at least within the time frame of the engine-guarantee period )I have a list of manufacturers and their different products which are all approved by VW/Audi which I found on the VW-website. All VW 505 01 engine oils are SAE 5-40.For example " Tornado Red " above writes he bought Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic 5W-30 - but this oil is NOT on the list. However the Valvoline DuraBlend Diesel motor oil is. This is a SAE 5W-40 oil( as all others )
Quaker State has been mentioned and they have one oil approved by VW/AUDI which is the Quaker State Diesel Plus SAE 5-40. Mobil has two : Mobil Synt S Special V and Mobil Syst S Special V both SAE 5W-40 and Castrol has 4 : Adamol Multitop PDI ,Castrol 505 01, Castrol GTD 50501 and Castrol TXT 505 01. As far as I understand the manufcaturers market different names on different markets - so it might be that some of the mentioned oils are not to be found in the U.S market. Best regards Bjorn

Below is a list of manufacturers/companies and their productname for oils tested and approved by VAG (VW/Audi)
according to the specification/norm :VW 50501
I am not saying this list is complete - There might have been new manufacturers and products added since.I have copied the list from a Swedish forum -
They are all classified as: SAE 5W-40

AD Parts - AD SDI SAE 5w-40 VW norm: 50000/50500/50501
Addinol -Addinol Light MV 0546 PD - VW norm as above
Adnoc-Adnoc Pearl- VW norm 50000/50501
Agip - Agip 7004 - VW norm 50000/50500/50501
AMAG -Gamaparts Super LL TDI - VW as above
ARAL - Aral Tronic 431 -VW as above
AVIA - Avia Tdi 50501- VW as above
AVIA - Avia Turbo CFE PD- VW as above
BP - BP Visco Special V VW as above
Bucher AG - Motorex Profile V-XL VW as above
Carat - Carat ad-Diesel PD-oil - VW as above
Castrol- Adamol Multitop PDI -VW as above
Castrol- Castrol 50501 - VW as above
Castrol - Castrol GTD 50501 - VW as above
Castrol -Castrol TXT 50501 - VW as above
Cepsa - Cepsa Star TDI synt - VW as above
Delek - Delek IDI - VW as above
Denicol - Denico Pro Syn 4 - VW as above
Elf - Elf Excellium DID - VW as above
Engen Petroleum Ltd - Engen Formula 505.01 VW as above
Esso -Esso 505.01 VW as above
Eurol - Eurol Turbo DI - VW as above
Fina - Fina Delta 505.01-VW as above
FL Selenia -Aktual Top Synth -VW as above
Fuchs - Fuchs Titan Supersyn Plus - VW as above
Fuchs - Labo Syntha High tech Synthese -VW as above
Galp Energia - Galp Formula 505 - VW as above
Galp Energia - Galp Formula TD 505 - VW as above
Gedol - Champ - VW as above
Ginouves - York 742 - VW as above
Gulf - Gulf GDI Extra - VW as above
Igol - Igol Process 505.01 - VW as above
INA - INA 505.01 - VW as above
IP - IP Sintiax 505 - VW as above
Kuwait Petroleum - Q8 Motoroil 505 01 - VW as above
Liqui Moly - Liqui Moly Diesel High Tech - VW as above
Mapetrol - Mapetrol 505 01 -VW as above
Meguin - Megol Motorenoel Super Leichtlauf Techn. VW asabove
Minerva Oil - TSH 5W-40 505.01 - VW as above
Mobil- Mobil Synt S Special V - VW as above
Mobil- Mobil Syst S Special V - VW as above
Mogul - Mogul Forte Racing S - VW as above
MOL - MOL Dynamic Synt - VW as above
MOTUL -Motul Specific 505.01 - VW as above
Oel-Brack - Midland Axxept - VW as above
Oest - Oest Leichtlaufoel 505.01 - VW as above
OMV - OMV syn com diesel - VW as above
Panolin - Panolin Daytona - VW as above
Pentosin - Pentosynth 5W-40 TS* - VW as above
Quaker State - Quaker State Diesel Plus - VW as above
Rafinerija Modrica - Optima 505 01- VW 50500/50501
Ravensberger Schmierstoffvetrieb - Ravenol VPD- VW 50000/50500/50501
Rothen Oil - Rothen Extrasint - VW as above
Shell-Shell Helix Diesel Plus VA - VW as above
SIG -Car Jack GPD, VW norm 50500/50501
Sinopec -Blue Spirit - VW norm 50500/50501
SRS Schmierstroff Vetrieb -Wintershall Leichtlauf Motorenoel
PD- VW Norm 50000/50500/50501
Startol- Rasanta Specialsynt - VW norm as above
Statoil - Statoil SuperWay 505.01 - VW as above
Sunoco- Sunoco Ultra Semi Synthetic - VW as above
SWD - Concep Tech Synth - VW as above
SWD - SWD Primus Synth - VW as above
Texaco - Texaco Havoline 505.01 - VW as above
TOTAL - Total Quartz 505.01 - VW as above
UNIL - Opaljet 505.01 - VW as above
Valvoline - Valvoline DuraBlend Diesel motor oil- VW as abov
VAPS - Vapsoil 505.01 - VW as above
Volkswagen original teile- Motorenoel G052167A2 -VW as above
Westfalen AG- Westfalen Megatron - VW as above
WOLF - Wolf Masterlube Synflow Pl - VW as above
Würth - Triatlon Special PD VW as above
Yacco - Yacco VX 505 -VW norm 50500/50501
Yacco - Yacco VX 505 - VW norm 50000/50500/50501
YPF - YPF Elaion Full Performance TDI - VW as above

This list is dated 23rd of June 2005 - and as said,there might have been some Manufactuers and products added after that...

What I find interesting is that there are a number of manufacturers which I have never heard of which gives
a great number options ....

Bjorn

Second generation 505.01 oils are thinner - July 2005. There also are 5W30 oils that are certified for 505.01 but not on the list - like Longlife 5W30 from Liqui Moly. The wording is not clear but 507 oils are not reccomended not because they wont work, but because the TDI PD is on a fixed OCI and they are not going to suggest you use a looglife oil,economics, when you may only run 10k miles 15k km.

Liqui Moly oils will be more available soon - call Advance Auto Parts and ask for it, they have pilot stores now in NJ and Florida. There is the new 100% syn Motul, Elf DID is to be updated. Amsoil is second generation and the first to do so but is not approved for several reasons. There is Quaker State 5W40 SB, which many believe to be Shell helix VA plus. There is of course Castrol TXT and Pentosynth TS.

To Moribundman : As I said, there are a number of manufacturers that I have never heard of, also in Europe.I was only trying to help/clarify which oils has actually been approved by VAG acc. to VW 50501
What surprises me a bit however is the lack of debate here about the so called " long life " -program introduced by VAG. This is a topic in Europe...to drive 30 000 -40 000 kms
on the german "Autobahn" ( Highways) at full speed every day
with the same oil...and the temperatures and loads you get through this...

8jörn (Sorry, the auto-censor won't let me type your name, so I have to use an 8 instead of a B), a few things:

The officially VW approved-oil list is well-known and has been linked many times on on these forums and on other forums (Noria, Vortex, Audiworld etc) That list contains also the occasional error, which each times causes great confusion.

The lack of debate regarding LL oils is due to VW/Audi import models not being equipped for it (Maybe some are by now? I do not keep up, so I may be wrong here!). I have yet to see a VW or Audi with a flexible WIV in the US. This has partly to do with the detuned emissions control system which is implemented in US import versions and partly with issues I can't mention here without causing a riot by enraging some of the natives.

I do keep track of what the Euros do -- I am a Euro myself. LL oils are not necessarily ideal for a long and healthy engine life, as evidenced by the number of sludge cases and prematurely worn engines (I am talking here about VW gas, but especially diesel engines in Europe of the past few years or so). See the motortalk.de forums for specifics in that regard. The low HTHS oils (for example VW 503.00) are being replaced by newer oil specs that are backward compatible (while likely not being ideal, depending on the particular engine). The new specs being VW 504/507 -- a so far combined spec for gas and diesel engines.

The topic has simply been chewed over so many times that nobody really cares anymore. That may explain the lack of replies to your well-intended post. The other issue is that many of the local natives see engine-specific oil requirements as stupid, as money-driven, as a sign of bad engine design etc. It's just not a very popular topic, and, as history shows, it's bound to upset some people.

Personally, here's my take on it: If I were to buy a new VW (I'm thinking scIROCco), I'd use the oil the carmaker recommends in the country of origin. Due to low gas quality, I would however reduce my oil change interval somewhat from what the manufacturer suggests. As of right now, I am feeding my '96 Audi that which is suggested (VW 502), or an oil which matches the most prominent VW502 performance requirements. The most pertinent data can be accessed via the oil spec sheets.

I hope this sheds some light on the issues.

Last edited:
Ok thank You very much Moribundman- didn´t realise I was stepping out in a " minefield " * Best rgds Bjorn

Quote:

My Dad has a new 06 TDI Jetta. He tried Castrol TXT and got an avg of 43mpg. Switched to the new Maxlife 5W-30 Synthetic that's 505.01 certified (says right on the back of the bottle and I spoke to Valvoline) and achieved 51mpg with an avg of 49mpg running it. I recommend running the Maxlife Synthetic.

I would LOVE to see the label that says that. I've got money that it is not on there. BTW.. TXT is not 505.01 either

I've used the following:

0-5,000 miles: Factory Fill
5k-10k: Castrol 505.01
10k-20k: Pentosin 505.01 (UOA Available)
20k-30K: Elf 505.01 (UOA Available)
30k-40k: Elf 505.01
40k-50k: Elf 505.01
50k-Current(58k): Amsoil European Car Formula 505.01

I am planning on a UOA at the this coming 60k oil change.
I snapped some pictures of my cam and lobes about 1k miles ago. All looks good and the UOA's are checking out fine.

VW has this requirement on these motors because the cam lobes are under EXTREME stress. I think it is like 85,000 PSI.

I have some Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic 5W-30 bought on clearance recently at AAP for 3.25/qt, and most of the bottles do mention the 505.01 spec along with BMW LL-04 and several others like MB 229.51 Nowhere does it say that it is "certified". I believe the wording was "meets" or "recommended for".

I personally would be more comfortable using a 40 weight oil in the VW TDI/PD engine, such as Schaeffers 9000 5W-40. This is one very tough oil and will hold up to most anything you can throw at it. Their spec sheet actually recommends it for 505.01 service, but it is most surely not certified by VW/Audi. For that reason, You may want to wait until warranty is over to use a non-certified oil such as this.

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is VW 507.00 certified and is backward compataible/"recommended to include the 505.01 (except unit-injector RS/V10-TDI and 3/4 cylinder diesel engines without Longlife-Service)". (quote is right off the M1 ESP 5W-30 bottle). Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is available in the U.S. in 12 liter cases at [Link removed.]

Edit: George, you know better than that. Don't let it happen again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back