505.01 oil for '03 Audi RS6

505.01 is a very specific oil from the 502/505 oils, which made for higher shear engines, in particular, at that time the Pumpe-Duse TDI's, that were prone to cam wear, vs using a regular 502/505.00 oil.

So, I would probably say no.

505.01 is a very specific oil from the 502/505 oils, which made for higher shear engines, in particular, at that time the Pumpe-Duse TDI's, that were prone to cam wear, vs using a regular 502/505.00 oil.

So, I would probably say no.
505.01 was mandatory for 4.2 twin turbo RS6

505.01 was mandatory for 4.2 twin turbo RS6
That's because no other specification oil was available enough for it, as I believe in Europe, it 506.01 was required, but there's no inventory for that in the USA and not worth to build the inventory for a limited engine, so 505.01 was close enough and VW sold a lot more TDI's to justify it.

If "Advanced MST" is same as "Synpower MST":

It comes or came with VW 505 01, 502 00 and 505 00 approvals, so it should be good enough.
Does that "Valvoline 1 European Car Formula Motor Oil 5W40 Full Synthetic European Formula"
sold at NAPA even come with any approvals?
I'm surprised some saying VW/Audi did spec VW 505 01 and 506 01 oils for gasoline engines in
the US. In Europe at least these approvals apply exclusively to (Pumpe-Düse) TDI engines only.

I had one of those PDs. Ran excellent for nearly 150k miles then I sold it. I did not take measurements of the cam but I did at least take the valve cover off and snapped a few pics. I could detect no abnormal wear, such as rounding of cam lobes, bowling of the lifters or spiderweb cracks on their surfaces.

I mostly ran 505.01 oil, but switched to 507 when it first came out (man, it was pricey) and also had a Amsoil bypass oil filter kit setup.

The several Blackstone UOAs I did came back excellent, saying I could run that oil safely to 15k miles. And most of the time, I did.

Back