5 Things You Need to Know About Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to argue with most of the information in the videos. Not a big fan of UOAs intended to get the last day or mile out of an oil change. Instead, I spend the "UOA Money" on more frequent oil changes.

Quote:
“Proper balance isn’t limited to lubrication chemistry. Your local parts store has a shelf full of pretty bottled miracles, screaming at you that they are going to fix all of your mechanical problems. If you think your current lubricant is deficient, don’t try to fix it with an additive, just use an oil that’s designed for your application,” Speed advises.

Well now, I do believe some sensible information has been provided.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
“Proper balance isn’t limited to lubrication chemistry. Your local parts store has a shelf full of pretty bottled miracles, screaming at you that they are going to fix all of your mechanical problems. If you think your current lubricant is deficient, don’t try to fix it with an additive, just use an oil that’s designed for your application,” Speed advises.

Well now, I do believe some sensible information has been provided.

True. Then in the last video they try to suggest their own fuel and oil additives are something you probably need. And in the other videos, "Driven" motor oils are presented for viewing....somewhat suggesting these are formulated properly....and maybe what you're using now isn't.

In the 3rd video they suggest that changing the oil filter more often is optimum (ie more often IS always better). My take from that was that you might want to change the filter multiple times during a typical OCI. That's not what car mfg's are recommending these days. The bar graph presented shows "races" so maybe they are only suggesting this notion works for car races. And if they are, then shouldn't they be changing the oil too after every race? And what kind of racing?

If I were a newbie seeing this video I would assume that changing your oil filter every 1,000-3,000 miles while your OCI is 6K-10K can only be a good thing. It doesn't consider the notion that your filter efficiency will increase as it gets dirtier...at least until the point where it's close to optimal loading and d/p is not too high. From that, not everything presented appears to be a fact....just because they area presented by a certified tribologist.

actually it is a good sharing and information but at the last i saw some marketing input within the video LOL..

it's just in the 1st video, he said no marketing, no support and only facts...

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
In the 3rd video they suggest that changing the oil filter more often is optimum (ie more often IS always better). My take from that was that you might want to change the filter multiple times during a typical OCI. That's not what car mfg's are recommending these days. The bar graph presented shows "races" so maybe they are only suggesting this notion works for car races. And if they are, then shouldn't they be changing the oil too after every race? And what kind of racing?

If I were a newbie seeing this video I would assume that changing your oil filter every 1,000-3,000 miles while your OCI is 6K-10K can only be a good thing. It doesn't consider the notion that your filter efficiency will increase as it gets dirtier...at least until the point where it's close to optimal loading and d/p is not too high. From that, not everything presented appears to be a fact....just because they area presented by a certified tribologist.

Changing filter every 1-3K is always going to be superior because you will need to replace 1/4-1/2 quart of new oil every time you do it
lol.gif

Great info but without a doubt marketing for their products, his father was a Winston cup stock car driver many years ago and the fact that he is a certified tribologist will definatly convince some people that their products are superior.

Originally Posted By: KL31
Changing filter every 1-3K is always going to be superior because you will need to replace 1/4-1/2 quart of new oil every time you do it
lol.gif

And that fresh oil coming in every 1K-3K miles helps to break down some of the established tribo-films. If you change the filter every 1K miles and exchange a quart of oil or so, isn't that actually working against you with increased wear?

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

Well sort of, it depends ... Real race car have all the by-pass's blocked. Debris screens in the lifter valleys, often run hydraulic filters w/o internal by-passes, etc. All to keep any loose metals from circulating. Those kinds of cars get the filters changed every race because it's how you manage the debris and see what debris is getting generated ...

Street cars, not so much
smile.gif

So again, this seems to make sense to change filters often if you're just breaking in a new engine or had a major rebuild but for commuters and even track day enthusiast... not sure I see the point of changing filters every 1-3k miles!

Originally Posted By: Rugman
Great info but without a doubt marketing for their products, his father was a Winston cup stock car driver many years ago and the fact that he is a certified tribologist will definatly convince some people that their products are superior.

All companies have tribologist who work for them, just because one posts a video talking about oil does not mean you need to buy that brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back