4th waterpump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 05 Vibe with almost 50k miles. In that time period I have had the waterpump replaced 2 times under warranty (done at two different dealers) and just today "my" mechanic noticed signs of leakage again...white residue around the base of the pump from below. (He noticed only because I asked him to check as he was changing out the winter tires). Never has any of the leaks been major i.e. never any noticeable liquid on the ground but it is frustrating that this car goes through so many pumps. Any ideas?

Originally Posted By: soldierman
If its leaking around the shaft perhaphs someone has been way over tightening the drive belt.

Wonder if the belt tension is done by an automatic tensioner. My next choice would be using an aftermarket water pump. Airtex.

Hmm. Is it the pump that's going bad or is the area that the pump bolts up to warped? Something to consider.

Otherwise maybe try an aftermarket water pump and apply some water pump sealant to the gasket before installing. Make sure water pump bolts are torqued correctly and in the right sequence, if applicable.

4th water pump on a 05 vibe??? my 06 vibe has 40k on the original. sounds like someone is doing damage somewhere or cheating you?

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
sounds like someone is doing damage somewhere or cheating you?

Not likely is it "cheating" as the replacements were done at *2* different dealers, each replacement covered under warranty.

I agree about the possibility of the mating surface being damaged or warped. If not that a bad batch of OEM pumps???

Keep us updated on this one.

Besides that, most dealers will offer a 12 month/12000 mile warranty on any work performed. I would take it to the last dealer that installed the water pump, calmly explain the situation, and see what they have to offer. Having it going on a FOURTH water pump already is WAY above normal wear and tear. Most water pumps should last 150-200k, maybe more.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
Besides that, most dealers will offer a 12 month/12000 mile warranty on any work performed. I would take it to the last dealer that installed the water pump, calmly explain the situation, and see what they have to offer.

There shouldn't be a problem getting it covered as this Vibe has an extended GMPP warranty good till 60k miles. But this most recent water pump replacement (almost a year ago) was done at a Chevrolet dealer (rather than at Pontiac). I know the Vibe isn't a Ferrari but for sure the Chevy dealer would see far fewer Vibes.
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
white residue around the base of the pump from below. (He noticed only because I asked him to check as he was changing out the winter tires).

Just to verify. It isn't normal to see *any* amount of residue (white/pink) in the area of the waterpump when the car is on the hoist?

And no matter how slight the leak it can be detected with a pressure test?

maybe the chevy guys put the wrong part on the vibe(toyota matrix) There's got to be someone out there that doesn't know the vibe is a Toyota. just throwing it out there..

What you need is a good diagnosis. Each time the mechanic assumed that the water pump was leaking from the weep hole. Did they verify this?.... I doubt it. Next time it leaks, have someone take a GOOD look at the situation. I doubt the problem is intrinsic with the water pump.

FWIW

From Aug 2007:

"water pump leaking at front seal (2K); pressure test cooling system and replace water pump and gasket; bleed cooling system"

From April 2008:

"pressure test coolant system. found water pump leaking, verified leak with service manager; replace water pump to correct; bleed coolant system, top up and verify operation. pressurized coolant system to 35PSI: holding pressure after 5 minutes

Last edited:
I work at a Pontiac dealer, and I don't know if we've ever replaced a Vibe water pump.

Ever.

I have an appt at the Chevy dealer later this week...the same dealer that has replaced the pump each of the last two years.

21.gif

wonder if TOYOTA would let you get the work at one their service centers . Could give TOYOTA customer care a call and explain your situation and dissatisfaction to get TOYOTA water pump . The pump for the VIBE could be G.M. part . I know that the blower fan for cabin is G.M. . Had to get that replaced . Did it myself for a '99 PRIZM tho . Warranty was up . It had less than 50,000 when it went . Couldn't hurt to ask . Just get a no or a possible , yes . GOOD LUCK

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back