4th waterpump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The answer is absolutely NO in getting GM factory or extended warranty done on a GM vehicle at a Toyota dealer.

Update:

Had the Vibe in at the Chevy dealer that had done the previous two pump replacements. I told the service manager my concerns (as mentioned in this thread). Upon return he did authorize to replace it, again, but only as it was covered under warranty. Otherwise he would have recommended to leave it as he claims that this pump is just weeping from the weep hole i.e there is nothing wrong. I am looking at the invoice and although it doesnt say this he did say no problem was shown on the pressure test.
21.gif

Last edited:
I got my WP replaced on my 05 corolla, I had a coolant loss and heavy chalky pink deposits on the underside of the pump, which was replaced under warranty. It seems the water pumps on these engines are not the greatest. I know on the corolla forums, they are a known problem.

Last edited:
Make sure the residue is cleaned off 100% when the new one is installed I have seen this before, a lasy tech getting paid warranty time may not clean it off, and also if it was a slow day and they were hunting for some hours to turn they may not have pressure tested it and just replaced it to be able to turn the hours.. Ive seen it happen

*If* at the next oil change or beyond I do see residue with this 4th wp I will ignore it until I see unequivocal evidence i.e. on the ground or a noticeable fall in level in the overflow tank.

coolant leaking from the weephole is a sign of a failing pump. The seal around the shaft is leaking. When i see this , I replace the pump.

Yeah, take it to toyota and get it fixed. If you have no luck, then you have another ball in the game, as you can then complain to them as well that THEIR "superior" engineering is lousy.

Some seepage from the weep-hole on the water pump is normal. The hole is there for expansion and contraction during temperature change. Some coolant (drips) will by-pass the seal. The design is so coolant will not build up between the seal and bearing, if that happened the bearing would wash out from the build-up of coolant.
Continuous leakage would be a problem.

I had a Buick with the 3.8 that had this problem with the water pump. I replaced the pump, and shortly after, the new one started leaking. Turned out to be the radiator cap. It wasn't releasing, and when some coolant boiled (usually a few minutes after shutdown, when it wasn't circulating), pressure was released by spewing coolant from the weep hole.
Replaced the cap, and the new pump lasted another 50k+ miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back