4l60e how often to drop the pan?

I have a 09 Sierra with the 4l60e about 50,000 km ago i changed the filter and bled the system with mobil dexron vi. since then about every 20,000km ive been using a fluid vac pump to remove what's in the pan and top off with the same fluid.

I think my truck falls under the severe use category and i installed a pretty big aftermarket cooler.
just wondering how often i should actually pull the pan off to clean it up and install a new filter?

I would do pan drop/ filter change every 65000 km. I wouldn't waste my time sucking fluid out and replacing what you pull out. However, I would consult your owner's manual for specific intervals for severe service.

Last edited:
I recall a real low service interval.....like 30K miles low.
This was a 2001 Camaro I was selling for a neighbor so I didn't have it long.
Maybe specific to the Camaro (ostensibly an abused vehicle)?

I would drop the pan every third tranny service if it's pretty clean in between drain and fills. I had a 98 sienna and after I did 2-3 pan drops with new strainer I realized it wouldn't make much of a difference for that tranny.

i also installed extra rare earth magnets on the pan the first time.

Here is the owners manual page. Every 50,000 miles (80,000 km). I used the severe service schedule and followed that. Now I pull out 3 litres on my 6L90 once per year which works out to about 20,000 km. Here is what was on my magnet on my last pan drop and filter change at 215,000 miles. I would expect your 4L60 will have similar results. My fluid was always Dex 6.

B8F0AF8C-C7F2-439C-A1A0-F1A23B2FE7DC.jpeg9CA2F600-C58B-4955-8395-C4FEA7E666E9.jpeg4B8056ED-E06E-4AA5-B425-AB60ABE7EE84.png

Last edited:
that looks pretty clean. I pull a travel trailer and get the fluid a little hotter then I'd like to. actually hit 200f for a brief moment this year. if the pan is that clean when i take it off I'll leave it on even longer and just keep using the fluid extractor.

I'm in the same boat, except my drain plug rounded off. I was able to replace some fluid but not drop the pan yet

i hope you can find a new drain plug. its so much easier to drop a pan that isn't full of fluid. I read once that some places that offer a "transmission service" just hook it up to a flush machine. the pan doesn't get dropped no new filter or clean magnets:-(

Back