4L60E transmission fluid exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. Just finished up with a 'fluid change' on my 1999 Chevy S-10 blazer, with the 4L60E transmission. Went easier than I thought! I've always done a pan drop, and replace the filter every 40K - 50K miles. This was the first time for a total fluid exchange. The vehicle has about 190,000 miles on it. The new fluid I used is Castrol Dex VI. Got it cheap through AA. Took about 14 quarts. Here is a link to the method I used. Let me know what you think.

4L60E transmission fluid exchange

Last edited:
Looks good. It sound like your happy with the results.
Good one!
thumbsup2.gif

Im happy with it so far. The only difference I noticed with this method vs. others, is that this method uses the upper fitting on the radiator instead of the lower one. So, it actually flushes the old fluid out of the cooler too.
Anyways, I test drove it around for about an hour, and it seems to be shifting good. Now Im just looking for another good deal on some more Dex VI fluid. I have 2 more vehicles with this tranny to do!

My Axiom has an 4L60E transmission, but it is sealed, and I just have a fill hole and no dipstick. I wonder if I can retrofit a dipstick from a GM truck/car......

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
My Axiom has an 4L60E transmission, but it is sealed, and I just have a fill hole and no dipstick. I wonder if I can retrofit a dipstick from a GM truck/car......

Yes you can. Shop the junkyards and you can find a perfect fit. But you'll have to make sure the trans is properly filled first to establish a full point on the stick.

Nice to hear of some GOOD auto trans experiences around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back