.44 Special for Home Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Skid
About 300 million guns in the U.S. About 259 justifiable civilian homicides per year. We're talking lottery type odds.

Basically saying that for most of us, guns for protection = snake oil.

An answer to a question that no one asked. In this thread anyway.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I was watching a youtube of gelatin testing of about the hottest .38 +P for defense, Hornady Critical Defense .38 +P 110gr. Fired out of a snub. Didn't expand as advertised. Rather underwhelming.
Hornady ammo seems to usually fails.

Getting firearm advice on BITOG is about like getting financial advice from a random homeless guy.

About 300 million guns in the U.S. About 259 justifiable civilian homicides per year. We're talking lottery type odds.

Basically saying that for most of us, guns for protection = snake oil.
figures lie and liars figure. you are just regurgitating , The amount of guns VS the amount of armed people are different.

BTW, even if a shooting is justified in California under criminal law, some ahole contingency fee tort lawyer is going to come after you and you're going to spend 100-150k just defending yourself in civil court. If that lawyer gets to use the word "magnum," good luck.
It doesn't work that was in real life.

BTW, even if a shooting is justified in California under criminal law, some ahole contingency fee tort lawyer is going to come after you and you're going to spend 100-150k just defending yourself in civil court. If that lawyer gets to use the word "magnum," good luck.
better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.my 12ga home defense shotgun is loaded with 00.my 357 has 38 hollow points in it.i live out in the sticks and it usually takes the cops 1\2 hr to get here

Mossberg Mini 510 Bantum 20-gauge pump shotgun is very small, only 5 pounds and far more lethal than a handgun.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Mossberg Mini 510 Bantum 20-gauge pump shotgun is very small, only 5 pounds and far more lethal than a handgun.

In experienced hands, the pump is excellent.

However, that's not the case here. Accordingly, the gas-operated semiauto gets the nod.

A medium frame steel 4-6 inch .38/.357 sounds about perfect for the OP. Loaded with premium defensive/duty .38s.

Originally Posted By: hatt
A medium frame steel 4-6 inch .38/.357 sounds about perfect for the OP. Loaded with premium defensive/duty .38s.

Yep. S&W model 10 or 15 would do.

Don't over look 32fed or 32h&r. Ruger model sp101 or Taurus has made several. 38 is cheaper for practice and easier to find though. Sp101 five shot in 38/357 is easy to feed and grips are manageable for most women.

3 million home invasions a year? That sounds high.

The Taurus 65 4 inch barrel .357 Magnum and Ruger LCRX with 3 inch barrel are on the handgun roster. Both are nice guns for a beginner. Load with .38 Special ammo and not .357 Magnum.

Honestly, a long gun is the better answer. It will be easier for her to manipulate, shoot, and she will be a lot more accurate with one. She will likely miss 75% or more of her shots fired from a pistol.

I'd look at the following:
20 gauge coach gun double barrel shotgun
lever action 30-30 or lever action .357 magnum
semi-auto 20 gauge (Mossberg)
Mini 14 (California legal I believe, and very simple)
California legal SKS (very simple)

Agree with the comments that a .357 mag is not a good choice. I have one (S&W 686), and while the muzzle blast is fun at the range, I'm sure it'd cause hearing damage if shot at home. I would not want to load 38 special in a 357 just because if there is a shooting, some idiot lawyer will say that she was shooting a .357 magnum, and make a big deal out of it (and not everyone on a jury will appreciate that a .357 can shoot a .38 special as well). Too much liability.

100% hogwash like everything else you posted in this thread.

I would not want to load 38 special in a 357 just because if there is a shooting, some idiot lawyer will say that she was shooting a .357 magnum, and make a big deal out of it (and not everyone on a jury will appreciate that a .357 can shoot a .38 special as well). Too much liability.

I own guns btw, but for fun. If I had to do something, I'm doing it with pepper spray, baseball bat, ballpeen hammer, machete.... I have those at my disposal.

You would have to look long and hard on any gun forum, in order to find the amount of total and complete bull$h!t contained in these posts. And the dumbing down of America continues.

I assume the mini 14 comes in other calibers than what me knee jerk reasction was when I saw it on your list... which I've always known it to be 30-06. So my reaction was "Mini 14?!... Sure she'll hit them... as well as some poor sap on the other side of town!"

edit: oops, just saw SKS on your list. I am loosing faith in your claimed expertise in ballistics and home defense issues, etc. 7.62x39mm rifle for home defense?? Or a 30-30 cowboy rifle? Good God man, I don't want her slaying her neighbors next door and beyond. I am sure you were being dark humor tongue-in-cheek with the Mini 14 (30-06!!), SKS, and 30-30 recommendations. Her house is not brick it's a vinyl sided ranch as are her neighbors, a suburban neighborhood with homes on city blocks, not acres.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Honestly, a long gun is the better answer. It will be easier for her to manipulate, shoot, and she will be a lot more accurate with one. She will likely miss 75% or more of her shots fired from a pistol.

I'd look at the following:
20 gauge coach gun double barrel shotgun
lever action 30-30 or lever action .357 magnum
semi-auto 20 gauge (Mossberg)
Mini 14 (California legal I believe, and very simple)
California legal SKS (very simple)

I assume the mini 14 comes in other calibers than what me knee jerk reasction was when I saw it on your list... which I've always known it to be 30-06.

The Ruger Mini-14 is available in 3 calibers. .223, 7.62 X 39 MM, and most recently, .300 AAC Blackout. It was never available in .30-06.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I assume the mini 14 comes in other calibers than what me knee jerk reasction was when I saw it on your list... which I've always known it to be 30-06.

The Ruger Mini-14 is available in 3 calibers. .223, 7.62 X 39 MM, and most recently, .300 AAC Blackout. It was never available in .30-06.

Since when was it offered in 7.62?
That's the mini 30.

Agreed. I must have been knee jerking thinking mistakenly of the M14. Just have 30-06 in my head relating to the M and the 14 designators from back whenever.

Either way.... One of those rifle calibers for home defense might be a choice if you live out in the sticks and there are acres and woods and hills between your house and the next, but not in town.

To re-center, Some said I was asking about .44 Special not Magnum, Correct. This is because .44 Special is sort of like .45acp in ballistics-- big and slow, i.e. less likely to over penetrate than some faster choices.

But the problem with a .44 Special is going to be ammunition availability. They used to be fairly popular in the 70's and 80's but have faded from the scene.

I am agreeing with the 4" barreled .357 loaded with .38 +P's. .38 +P is not very potent out of a snub but 4" helps it out some.

Really wish she would consider a semi-auto, that would make it easy-- 9mm. BTW, someone mentioned there are some 9mm revolvers out. Where? I have not seen any for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back