44.5K 2 Year Prime Guard cut open NSFBitog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Ursatdx
Yes.
We see some crazy OCIs.
I'll try a bit harder to post some of the filters.
I wonder what an UOA would show.

Originally Posted by MrQuackers
Customer's car?

That is just
37.gif
37.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Ursatdx
Residual oil had elmers glue like consistency.

Increases KV100 HTHS.
lol.gif

Lucky that engine didn't self destruct. Probably caues a lot of undue wear.

Great point Zee...
lol.gif

Here's a possibility I bet... Even if the filter was left on for that long. . If the oil itself had been changed every 5k miles.... That filter would be in decent shape I'd bet.... Even after 44k miles.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Here's a possibility I bet... Even if the filter was left on for that long. . If the oil itself had been changed every 5k miles.... That filter would be in decent shape I'd bet.... Even after 44k miles.

+1, at least not sludged up at all. We have a senario coming up like that from Linctex for a look see.

Originally Posted by NYSteve
Originally Posted by Sayjac
Been thinking, this filter anecdote reminds of an OF one might find on a vehicle of a "former" member here, GHT. He hung in Jersey a lot too. Perhaps he brought the vehicle in for service.
56.gif

Big assumption his car ran for two years and over 44k miles :p

Not for old GHT, he wouldn't hesitate to do something stupid like this! I kinda miss him, he & his Volvo escapades were pretty darn hilarious!

Sadly, I've known way too many people who subscribe to the 44k mile oil change club. And still those cars run long enough to be traded in on something newer. My own wife grenaded her first new car doing this. It was run to its death without ever having an oil change. This is why I avoid used cars.

Obviously not properly maintained equipment.

But OTOH, it goes to show how absurdly anal-retentive some folks here are about changing their oil/filter too often. We see LOTs of filters cut open that could easily go another 5-10k miles, along with UOAs that show the same thing. I'm in no way advocating for blind OCI extensions; you need to study your way out to the longer distances. Start at 5k miles, get a UOA and cut your filter open. Extend to 10k miles, do it again a few times. Extend out to perhaps 15k miles, etc. Let the wear data, the PC data, and the filter dissection tell you when to OFCI. Just like Goldie-locks and the tri-bruin brutes ... some porridge is too hot, some it too cold. Some is just right.

This filter shows the owner clearly didn't pay attention; obviously put no thought into it at all.

Definitely in bypass mode. Glad it didn't go any longer. You'd be surprised how much abuse engines can take. After a few short-changes I bet this engine will last awhile... assuming it isn't treated this way again
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DGXR
Definitely in bypass mode......
In pic #1, I don't even see a bypass. Looks like one can see right into the inside of the filter. Almost like it was knocked out. Pic #3 looks like there is at least the housing which holds the bypass spring. Something weird going on in first pic.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Originally Posted by DGXR
Definitely in bypass mode......
In pic #1, I don't even see a bypass. Looks like one can see right into the inside of the filter. Almost like it was knocked out. Pic #3 looks like there is at least the housing which holds the bypass spring. Something weird going on in first pic.

Looks like a reflection to me. Maybe the OP can verify if the bypass valve is there or not.

Hello to all;
Pics of bypass valve.
My screwdriver is resting on it.
Thoughts on the Prime Guard filter?

F1.jpg

F2.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GZRider
Why's it always seem to be a Nissan or FCA product that's maintained (well not so much) like this?

just to clarify...I have had 4 previous FCA vehicles, 2 different Liberty's, a Wrangler, and a Patriot and none of those vehicles saw OCI's longer than 4250 miles during my ownership; conventional or synthetic blend oils & normal duty filters; DIY & shop done oil changes; my current FCA vehicle, a Journey, will receive the same consideration...2 dealetship oil changes during first year included in sale deal; after that gonna be shop based & intetmittent DIY oil changes...the Journey sits too low for me to fit underneath so gotta get some ramps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back