40V+ … ego vs ryobi

So, it’s coming soon. My ryobi one+ 18v hedge trimmer isn’t up to the task, and the handle finally broke on it. Based on the “light duty“ feel of the trimmer I was going to avoid ryobi, but they seem to have learned from their mistakes as the new 40V models are much more solid. Seems a good machine.

but then across the street, the other big box store carries ego, at 56V, for the same price. Ego seems to to reviewed as more powerful in general, but with universally poor reviews for customer service. Ego hit the market hard with their products however, and 56V has more potential long term than ryobi as they race for numbers. and at this point I’m just guessing.

anyone else recently pull the trigger? It’s a bit of a conundrum as you get “locked” into a new battery standard.

?

m

I went 40v ryobi for the trimmer, as it accepted the edger, pole saw, brush cutter from my previous gas trimmer.

Happy so far, have not used the accessories on it yet. But i think with the flat torque curve, the pole saw should work well.

If it was me, I'd go Ego 👍

I'll be purchasing their full-sized 56v snowblower this coming winter.

I have a 40v ryobi trimmer that‘s headed to the dump next chance I get. Battery failed after 4 months or so. It would give an error flash on the charger and not charge up. Shortly after that the throttle mechanism broke so that it would go wide open until I popped the battery out. That was the end of my electric experiment.

I have a 40v ryobi trimmer that‘s headed to the dump next chance I get. Battery failed after 4 months or so. It would give an error flash on the charger and not charge up. Shortly after that the throttle mechanism broke so that it would go wide open until I popped the battery out. That was the end of my electric experiment.
Doesn't Ryobi have a 5/3 (tool/battery) warranty on their 40V equipment?

I have the Ego hedge trimmer, 650 leaf blower, string trimmer, and borrowed my son's edger to try. Love them all. No issues yet. Great power and run time. If I decide to go battery snow blower, it will be either Ego or Toro. (Toro seems to get the nod in most comparison tests I've seen.)

I have the Ego hedge trimmer, 650 leaf blower, string trimmer, and borrowed my son's edger to try. Love them all. No issues yet. Great power and run time. If I decide to go battery snow blower, it will be either Ego or Toro. (Toro seems to get the nod in most comparison tests I've seen.)

Toro has a awesome mower, snowblower, snow shovel.

Snow shovel?

Anyway, all the Toro equipment I’ve owned has given great service. Super Recycler, zero turn and snowblower. All gas powered, though.

I've got an Ego Trimmer, Lawnmower, Edger, and Backpack Blower. All are 2nd gen.

The mower is not as powerful as the gas Toro that it replaced, but I don't miss the vibrations or the fumes at all and it is nice to be able to use the self propelled feature when the mower is off.

The string trimmer is just as good as gas and is extremely easy to rewind.

The blower is also not as powerful as gas and I would suggest using it with a fully charged battery to get the most blow for your buck.

The edger is just as good as gas and way more powerful than the corded one that I used to have.

Back