Tool unboxing: DeWalt DCS369B 20V one-handed reciprocating saw

wdn

I just purchased the DeWalt (DCS369B) 20V reciprocating saw. It is the newest tool in their 20V Max battery series tools offerings. It is called the ATOMIC series (of compact tools). You can think of it as a one (or two) handed mini sawzall.

My intended use is for landscaping with a pruning blade (80% use) and as a cutoff saw for the workbench vise 20% as well as light duty under the truck type stuff or under the sink stuff. It is not for demolition work. For that I have a corded DeWalt I think the 7.5 amp model. I read some very good reviews of it cutting green wood including bamboo plants that quickly dull even a gas chainsaw.

IMG-2623.jpg

It's a 5/8" stroke which is half the length of the bigger reciprocating saws. It is a variable speed saw with an LED worklight. The LED is pretty good. I

I bought mine "tool only" without the battery, charger or case. Again, I already have the 20V system. For a case it fits perfectly in the $5 Harbor Freight nylon tool bag that looks like and old doctor's satchel.

The tool sells for $149 in most places; I snagged this one for $129.

IMG-2616.jpg

It's just the saw, user manual, a screw on belt clip that I shall toss, and (2) blades a wood blade and a steel blade.

Here it is out of the bag after I attached a battery:
IMG-2618.jpg

The area in front of the trigger is a grip for your left hand:
IMG-2620.jpg

The balance is very comfortable and the grip which I would call a rifle grip instead of the pistol grip in most battery tools is an excellent angle. I seems a bit forward heavy when you hold it the first time out of the box but as soon as the battery is attached the balance becomes perfect. It's very similar to the handle on the DeWalt 20V hedge trimmer which I also have. The trigger effort is very light. For pruning branches it seems ideal. Let's see how long the battery lasts.

What looks like a trigger lock is a trigger OFF lock for safety. There is no way to lock the trigger in the ON position: also for safety. I am fine with this.

It is certainly capable of one handed operation which will come in real handing if up on a ladder. The two hand grip is quite comfortable though and holds the tool more securely. It's designed to be operated with one hand or two.

It's a 3-year guarantee from DeWalt.

Looks good to me. I already have a regular Dewalt 20V sawzall. I guess for getting into tight spots this is a good option. Where is the Led light located?

The LED light is located on the front of the unit under the blade. In front of the front handguard. It shines directly on the material you are cutting or about to cut.

Never cared for the Milwaukee version of that or DeWalt reciprocating saws so it is the worst of both to me. Should be good for branches though as that doesn’t take much power or force.

interesting form factor.. I have the XR compact version and its great with pruning blade or for the other things I use it for.
iirc its 3/4" stroke on the compact saw.

I also use it with a spray can shaker (shake cans ie spray paint)
dewaltcompact.jpg

My wife used it for pruning and was easily cutting branches over 3” diameter. I used Bosch pruning blades. Here is some of it there were four loads like this.
IMG_3221.jpg

Nice. I have a Bosch mini hackzall type thing, and it’s good in some applications but not others. Ive found its better suited for metal than wood. But its only 12v. This one should have a lot more oomph, and it looks like it works well for your needs!

Received mine the other day, installed a 3 TPI (tooth per inch) "Diablo" carbide tooth 9" wood cutting blade and went to town. There is no question it's a great lightweight, one handed tool with plenty of powa! Love it, and thanks again for the suggestion. I had no idea they existed.

Reactions: JC1
I had the Milwaukee M12 sawsall and it was decent, but didn’t really cut tough stuff well and had lots of vibration. Sold it and bought the brushless M18 Fuel version and the difference is night and day, fantastic tool. One great use is to cut tree stumps below the surface, saves ruining a chainsaw blade.

Back